The poster (email) is not available. 收藏推荐:
English | 2014 | ISBN: 0199959749 | 336 pages | PDF | 4 MB
When America declared war on Germany in 1917, the United States had only 200,000 men under arms, a twentieth of the German army's strength, and its planes were no match for the German air force. Less than a century later, the United States today has by far the world's largest military budget and provides over 40% of the world's armaments.
In American Arsenal Patrick Coffey examines America's military transformation from an isolationist state to a world superpower. Focusing on fifteen specific developments, Coffey illustrates the unplanned, often haphazard nature of this transformation, which has been driven by political, military, technological, and commercial interests. Beginning with Thomas Edison's work on submarine technology, American Arsenal moves from World War I to the present conflicts in the Middle East, covering topics from chemical weapons, strategic bombing, and the nuclear standoff with the Soviet Union, to "smart" bombs, hand-held anti-aircraft missiles, and the Predator and other drone aircrafts. Coffey traces the story of each advance in weaponry from drawing board to battlefield, and includes fascinating portraits of the men who invented and deployed them -Edward Teller, "the father of the hydrogen bomb", Robert Oppenheimer, head of atomic bomb design at Los Alamos; Curtis LeMay, who led the fire-bombing of Japan; Herman Kahn, nuclear strategist and a model for Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove; Abraham Karem, inventor of the Predator, and many others. Coffey also examines the increasingly detached nature of modern American warfare- the ultimate goal is to remove soldiers from the battlefield entirely- which limits casualties (211,454 in Vietnam and only 1,231 in the Gulf War) but also lessens the political and psychological costs of going to war.
Examining the backstories of every major American weapons development, American Arsenal is essential reading for anyone interested in the continuing evolution of the U.S. defense program.
Download "American Arsenal: A Century of Waging War [Repost]"
浏览量：0 添加时间：2014-06-18 17:20:23, 更新时间：2014-06-18 17:20:23, from internet
Search mirrors of "American Arsenal: A Century of Waging War [Repost]"...
Free Magazine Subscriptions & Technical Document Downloads
如果不能下载或者在“图书介绍”中找不到 "American Arsenal: A Century of Waging War [Repost]" 的下载链接请留言。下次访问本站时察看 所有留言 看是否有人已经更新了该书。
- Ebooks list page : 27742
- American Arsenal: A Century of Waging War [Repost]
- [PDF] American Arsenal: A Century of Waging War
- American Arsenal: A Century of Waging War - eazydoc.com
- Patrick Coffey, American Arsenal A Century of Waging War
- American Arsenal: A Century of Waging War
- Memories of a Lost War: American Poetic Responses to the Vietnam War [Repost]
- Neither Dead Nor Red: Civil Defense and American Political Development During the Early Cold War (Repost)
- The AEF Way of War: The American Army and Combat in World War I [Repost]
- War From the Ground Up: Twenty-First Century Combat as Politics [Repost] - Removed
- A World on Fire: Britain's Crucial Role in the American Civil War (Repost)
- American Civil War [repost]
- Lafayette of the South: Prince Camille de Polignac and the American Civil War (Repost)
- Freedom's Forge: How American Business Produced Victory in World War II [Repost]
- A World on Fire: Britain's Crucial Role in the American Civil War [Repost]
- The New American Militarism: How Americans Are Seduced by War (Repost)
- Labor's Home Front: The American Federation of Labor during World War II (Repost)
- Freedom's Forge: How American Business Produced Victory in World War II (repost)
- This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War (Repost)
- Waging War on Complexity Costs: Reshape Your Cost Structure, Free Up Cash Flows and Boost Productivity (repost) - Removed
- 20th-Century American Fiction (The Great Courses, 230) (Audiobook) (Repost)