Posted on 2009-07-04. By anonymous.
R. A. Donkin, Robin A. Donkin,"Beyond Price : Pearls and Pearl Fishing, Origins to the Age of Discoveries"
American Philosophical Society | 1998-05-15 | ISBN: 0871692244 | PDF | Pages: 470 | 42.4mb
Man has been intrigued by the origin of pearls, sensitive to their beauty, & convinced of their medicinal value for at least five millennia. A mixture of folklore & observation preceded the earliest scientific inquiries. Fishing & trade commenced in southern Asia, between India & Sri Lanka & around the Persian Gulf. In Western & Central Europe, Inner Asia & China, & North America, freshwater pearls were probably known & treasured before those of marine origin. R.A. Donkin combines written sources with the results of archaeological & philological research. A refined nomenclature lends support to other evidence pointing to long familiarity, & etymologically related words for 'pearl'- reflecting former trading connections or colonization. Pearls were prominent among the luxury products which, for many centuries, the West associated with the legendary East & South; conversely, the Chinese looked to the West & South. From the opening of the Age of Discoveries & for the next two & a half centuries marine pearls were high among the objectives of expeditions to the eastern & western Tropics. The often remote centers of demand were affluent & culturally advanced societies where dealers & purchasers exercised fine judgment in matters of shape & color & iridescence, as they continue to do today. Beyond Price: Pearls & Pearl-Fishing, organized both chronologically & by region is called by reviewer, James Parsons, "the crowning achievement of a world-class scholar....The folklore regarding pearls has created an endlessly imaginative literature, here analyzed meticulously." The book is enhanced with over 100 maps & illustrations.
- Ebooks list page : 3106
- 2010-04-20Beyond Price: Pearls and Pearl Fishing, Origins to the Age of Discoveries
- 2010-04-19Beyond Price: Pearls and Pearl Fishing, Origins to the Age of Discoveries
- 2010-04-16Beyond Price: Pearls and Pearl Fishing, Origins to the Age of Discoveries
- 2010-04-16Robin A. Donkin - Beyond Price: Pearls and Pearl Fishing, Origins to the Age of Discoveries
- 2011-10-05Beyond Price, Pearls And Pearl Fishing Origins
- 2010-06-25Beyond Price, Pearls And Pearl Fishing Origins
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Beyond Bodybuilding: Muscle and Strength Training Secrets for the Renaissance Man
- 2017-10-13[PDF] Bees' Knees and Barmy Armies: Origins of the Words and Phrases We Use Every Day
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Beyond Bodybuilding: (Muscle and Strength Training Secrets for The Renaissance Man)
- 2017-06-18Beyond Realism Experimental And Unconventional Irish Drama Since The Revival
- 2013-01-10Beyond Bodybuilding: Muscle and Strength Training Secrets for the Renaissance Man [Repost]
- 2018-07-24Exploding Stars, Dead Dinosaurs, and Zombies: Youth Ministry in the Age of Science
- 2018-06-02Exploding Stars, Dead Dinosaurs, and Zombies Youth Ministry in the Age of Science
- 2018-05-28Exploding Stars, Dead Dinosaurs, and Zombies: Youth Ministry in the Age of Science
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Inside Content Marketing: EContent Magazine's Guide to Roles, Tools, and Strategies for Thriving in the Age of Brand Journalism
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Non-Western Social Movements and Participatory Democracy: Protest in the Age of Transnationalism (Societies and Political Orders in Transition)
- 2017-12-22[PDF] The Vendetta: Special Agent Melvin Purvis, John Dillinger, and Hoover's FBI in the Age of Gangsters
- 2017-10-13[PDF] Information, Models, and Sustainability: Policy Informatics in the Age of Big Data and Open Government (Public Administration and Information Technology)
- 2017-04-08[PDF] The Archaeology of Weapons: Arms and Armour from Prehistory to the Age of Chivalry
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.