Posted on 2009-03-26. By anonymous.
Princeton University Press | 2001 | ISBN: 0691057346 | Pages: 248 | PDF | 1.31 MB
This is the first book to analyze our suburban literary tradition. Tracing the suburb's emergence as a crucial setting and subject of the twentieth-century American novel, Catherine Jurca identifies a decidedly masculine obsession with the suburban home and a preoccupation with its alternative--the experience of spiritual and emotional dislocation that she terms "homelessness." In the process, she challenges representations of white suburbia as prostrated by its own privileges.
In novels as disparate as Tarzan (written by Tarzana, California, real-estate developer Edgar Rice Burroughs), Richard Wright's Native Son, and recent fiction by John Updike and Richard Ford, Jurca finds an emphasis on the suburb under siege, a place where the fortunate tend to see themselves as powerless. From Babbitt to Rabbit, the suburban novel casts property owners living in communities of their choosing as dispossessed people. Material advantages become artifacts of oppression, and affluence is fraudulently identified as impoverishment. The fantasy of victimization reimagines white flight as a white diaspora.
Extending innovative trends in the study of nineteenth-century American culture, Jurca's analysis suggests that self-pity has played a constitutive role in white middle-class identity in the twentieth century. It breaks new ground in literary history and cultural studies, while telling the story of one of our most revered and reviled locations: "the little suburban house at number one million and ten Volstead Avenue" that Edith Wharton warned would ruin American life and letters.
There is a growing number of phishing/spoofing rapidshare-similar mirrors in comments. Using it you run the risk of your rapidshare account being STOLEN.
Check them carefully before using, a proper RapidShare mirror has the following format:
A spoofing link is different e.g.
!!!NEVER EVER USE IT!!!
If you see such links, send a PM to staff immediately (nicks of the staff are here).
***Detailed information about Phishing can be found here***
- Ebooks list page : 2564
- 2021-06-24Realism in the Twentieth Century Indian Novel: Colonial Difference and Literary Form
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The Twentieth-Century American Fiction Handbook (Wiley Blackwell Literature Handbooks)
- 2014-05-17The Twentieth-Century American Fiction Handbook
- 2013-08-03Christopher MacGowan, The Twentieth-Century American Fiction Handbook
- 2011-03-27The Columbia Companion to the Twentieth-Century American Short Story
- 2010-05-28The Cambridge Companion to the Twentieth-Century English Novel
- 2010-04-03The Cambridge Introduction to The Nineteenth-Century American Novel
- 2018-11-13Mendel's Theatre Heredity, Eugenics, and Early Twentieth-Century American Drama
- 2011-09-06Roman's Lab Vol. 44 - New Lines & Novelties for White In The Grand Prix, French, Hippo, Latvian, and Philidor Defense - Removed
- 2011-12-29After the Dream: Black and White Southerners since 1965 (Civil Rights and the Struggle for Black Equality in the Twentieth Century)
- 2011-11-07Managing Construction and Infrastructure in the 21st Century Bureau of Reclamation
- 2012-02-11Building a Housewife’s Paradise: Gender, Politics, and American Grocery Stores in the Twentieth Century - Tracey Deutsch - Removed
- 2011-09-12Energy and Transportation: Challenges for the Chemical Sciences in the 21st Century
- 2011-09-06Information and Communications: Challenges for the Chemical Sciences in the 21st Century
- 2011-08-22Building a Housewife's Paradise: Gender, Politics, and American Grocery Stores in the Twentieth Century - Removed
- 2010-09-29Mechanical Sound: Technology, Culture, and Public Problems of Noise in the Twentieth Century
- 2022-01-16Police Brutality and White Supremacy The Fight Against American Traditions
- 2011-08-25The English-Chinese Dictionary Of 20th Century American Pop Culture
- 2011-07-03A New Biology for the 21st Century
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.