Posted on 2021-01-12, by nokia241186.
English | PDF | 2021 | 257 Pages | ISBN : 3030642828 | 8.6 MB
Through an examination of three wooden boat workshops on the East coast of the United States, this volume explores how craftspeople interpret their tools and materials during work, and how such perception fits into a holistic conception of practical skill. The author bases his findings on first-person fieldwork as a boat builder's apprentice, during which he recorded his changing sensory experience as he learned the basics of the trade.
The book reveals how experience in the workshop allows craftspeople to draw new meaning from their senses, constituting meaningful objects through perception that are invisible to the casual observer. Ultimately, the author argues that this kind of perceptual understanding demonstrates a fundamental mode of human cognition, an intelligence frequently overlooked within contemporary education.
Tom Martin received his PhD from Oxford University, UK, in 2019. His current research continues to investigate the sensory aspects of practical understanding, while also considering the humanistic potential of craft learning within and beyond the paradigm of liberal education.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 46173
- 2021-02-14Craft Learning as Perceptual Transformation: Getting 'the Feel' in the Wooden Boat Workshop
- 2021-01-12Craft Learning as Perceptual Transformation Getting 'the Feel' in the Wooden Boat Workshop
- 2021-01-13Craft Learning as Perceptual Transformation
- 2012-02-12Old Pine Bar - The New Yankee Workshop
- 2012-02-12Morris Chair - The New Yankee Workshop
- 2011-08-19Old Pine Bar
- 2011-08-19Morris Chair
- 2011-08-19Mesquite Bookcase
- 2011-08-07Carousel Table
- 2011-08-07Seven Drawer Chest
- 2011-08-07Hat Rack
- 2011-08-07Fireplace Mantle
- 2011-08-07Irish Table
- 2011-08-07Linen Press
- 2011-08-07Walnut Table
- 2011-06-23Nantucket Settle
- 2011-06-23Tiger Maple Washstand
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.