Curiosities and Texts The Culture of Collecting in Early Modern England (Material Texts) by Marjorie Swann
Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-07-17. By anonymous.
English | June 19, 2001 | ISBN: 0812236106 | 289 pages | PDF | 16.6 MB
A craze for collecting swept England during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Aristocrats and middling-sort men alike crammed their homes full of a bewildering variety of physical objects: antique coins, scientific instruments, minerals, mummified corpses, zoological specimens, plants, ethnographic objects from Asia and the Americas, statues, portraits. Why were these bizarre jumbles of artifacts so popular?
In Curiosities and Texts, Marjorie Swann demonstrates that collections of physical objects were central to early modern English literature and culture. Swann examines the famous collection of rarities assembled by the Tradescant family; the development of English natural history; narrative catalogs of English landscape features that began to appear in the Tudor and Stuart periods; the writings of Ben Jonson and Robert Herrick; and the foundation of the British Museum.
Through this wide-ranging series of case studies, Swann addresses two important questions: How was the collection, which was understood as a form of cultural capital, appropriated in early modern England to construct new social selves and modes of subjectivity? And how did literary textsâ€”both as material objects and as vehicles of representationâ€”participate in the process of negotiating the cultural significance of collectors and collecting? Crafting her unique argument with a balance of detail and insight, Swann sheds new light on material culture's relationship to literature, social authority, and personal identity.
WANT MORE? VISIT MY BLOG!
- Ebooks list page : 22737
- 2018-07-15The Culture of Equity in Early Modern England
- 2018-06-12The Culture of Equity in Early Modern England
- 2010-09-04The Culture of Cloth in Early Modern England
- 2010-01-04Mark Fortier - The Culture Of Equity In Early Modern England
- 2009-04-29The Culture of Slander in Early Modern England
- 2020-05-07The Elizabethan Top Ten: Defining Print Popularity in Early Modern England (Material Readings in Early Modern Culture)
- 2017-11-18[PDF] The Elizabethan Top Ten: Defining Print Popularity in Early Modern England (Material Readings in Early Modern Culture)
- 2017-09-18The Mirror of Information in Early Modern England John Wilkins and the Universal Character - Removed
- 2014-03-13The Care of Brute Beasts: A Social and Cultural Study of Veterinary Medicine in Early Modern England [Repost]
- 2011-06-14The Care of Brute Beasts: A Social and Cultural Study of Veterinary Medicine in Early Modern England
- 2020-05-05Writing the Ottomans: Turkish History in Early Modern England (Early Modern Literature in History)
- 2010-08-24Vernacular Bodies: The Politics of Reproduction in Early Modern England
- 2017-04-05[PDF] Classical Sculpture and the Culture of Collecting in Britain since 1760 (Classical Presences)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Classical Sculpture and the Culture of Collecting in Britain since 1760 (Classical Presences)
- 2011-09-04Measuring and Sustaining the New Economy, Software, Growth, and the Future of the U.S Economy
- 2011-05-19Measuring and Sustaining the New Economy, Software, Growth, and the Future of the U.S Economy: Report of a Symposium
- 2020-04-29Sociable Knowledge: Natural History and the Nation in Early Modern Britain (Material Texts)
- 2019-12-13Rabbis, Sorcerers, Kings, and Priests The Culture of the Talmud in Ancient Iran
- 2018-11-15Treacherous Faith The Specter of Heresy in Early Modern English Literature and Culture
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.