Posted on 2018-06-17, by nokia241186.
Down and Out in the New Economy: How People Find (or Don't Find) Work Today by Ilana Gershon
English | April 12th, 2017 | ASIN: B06WWL237W, ISBN: 022645214X | 304 Pages | EPUB | 0.49 MB
Finding a job used to be simple. You'd show up at an office and ask for an application. A friend would mention a job in their department. Or you'd see an ad in a newspaper and send in your cover letter. Maybe you'd call the company a week later to check in, but the basic approach was easy. And once you got a job, you would stay-often for decades.
Now . . . well, it's complicated. If you want to have a shot at a good job, you need to have a robust profile on LinkdIn. And an enticing personal brand. Or something like that-contemporary how-to books tend to offer contradictory advice. But they agree on one thing: in today's economy, you can't just be an employee looking to get hired-you have to market yourself as a business, one that can help another business achieve its goals.
That's a radical transformation in how we think about work and employment, says Ilana Gershon. And with Down and Out in the New Economy, she digs deep into that change and what it means, not just for job seekers, but for businesses and our very culture. In telling her story, Gershon covers all parts of the employment spectrum: she interviews hiring managers about how they assess candidates; attends personal branding seminars; talks with managers at companies around the United States to suss out regional differences-like how Silicon Valley firms look askance at the lengthier employment tenures of applicants from the Midwest. And she finds that not everything has changed: though the technological trappings may be glitzier, in a lot of cases, who you know remains more important than what you know.
Throughout, Gershon keeps her eye on bigger questions, interested not in what lessons job-seekers can take-though there are plenty of those here-but on what it means to consider yourself a business. What does that blurring of personal and vocational lives do to our sense of our selves, the economy, our communities? Though it's often dressed up in the language of liberation, is this approach actually disempowering workers at the expense of corporations?
Rich in the voices of people deeply involved with all parts of the employment process, Down and Out in the New Economy offers a snapshot of the quest for work today-and a pointed analysis of its larger meaning.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36465
- 2018-06-09Down and Out in the New Economy How People Find (or Don't Find) Work Today
- 2018-04-25Down and Out in the New Economy How People Find (or Don't Find) Work Today
- 2018-03-20Down and Out in the New Economy: How People Find (or Don9;t Find) Work Today
- 2011-09-04Measuring and Sustaining the New Economy, Software, Growth, and the Future of the U.S Economy
- 2011-05-19Measuring and Sustaining the New Economy, Software, Growth, and the Future of the U.S Economy: Report of a Symposium
- 2012-02-12Old Pine Bar - The New Yankee Workshop
- 2012-02-12Morris Chair - The New Yankee Workshop
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Managers and Leaders Who Can: How you survive and succeed in the new economy
- 2011-07-01Late to Class: Social Class and Schooling in the New Economy
- 2019-01-24Down and Out, on the Road The Homeless in American History
- 2019-01-07Down and Out, on the Road The Homeless in American History
- 2018-08-26Gender and Innovation in the New Economy Women, Identity, and Creative Work
- 2018-08-16Gender and Innovation in the New Economy Women, Identity, and Creative Work
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Financial Fresh Start: Your Five-Step Plan for Adapting and Prospering in the New Economy
- 2017-11-10[PDF] The Future of Success: Working and Living in the New Economy
- 2017-02-08[PDF] The Future of Success: Working and Living in the New Economy
- 2014-04-05Capital and Language: From the New Economy to the War Economy (repost)
- 2013-10-26Capital and Language: From the New Economy to the War Economy
- 2013-10-22Capital and Language: From the New Economy to the War Economy [Repost]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.