Finding Our Place in the Universe: How We Discovered Laniakea - the Milky Way's Home (The MIT Press)
Posted on 2020-11-13, by ebookdl.
How a team of researchers, led by the author, discovered our home galaxy's location in the universe.
You are here: on Earth, which is part of the solar system, which is in the Milky Way galaxy, which itself is within the extragalactic supercluster Laniakea. And how can we pinpoint our location so precisely? For twenty years, astrophysicist Hélène Courtois surfed the cosmos with international teams of researchers, working to map our local universe. In this book, Courtois describes this quest and the discovery of our home supercluster.
Courtois explains that Laniakea (which means immense heaven in Hawaiian) is the largest galaxy structure known to which we belong; it is huge, almost too large to comprehendabout five hundred million light-years in diameter. It contains about 100,000 large galaxies like our own, and a million smaller ones. Writing accessibly for nonspecialists, Courtois describes the visualization and analysis that allowed her team to map such large structures of the universe. She highlights the work of individual researchers, including portraits of several exceptional women astrophysicistspresenting another side of astronomy. Key ideas are highlighted in text insets; illustrations accompany the main text.
The French edition of this book was named the Best Astronomy Book of 2017 by the astronomy magazine Ciel et espace. For this MIT Press English-language edition, Courtois has added descriptions of discoveries made after Laniakea: the cosmic velocity web and the Dipole and Cold Spot repellers. An engaging account of one of the most important discoveries in astrophysics in recent years, her story is a tribute to teamwork and international collaboration.
- Ebooks list page : 45238
- 2020-11-22Finding Our Place in the Universe: How We Discovered Laniakea the Milky Way's Home (The MIT Press)
- 2019-12-11Finding our Place in the Universe: How We Discovered Laniakea―the Milky Way's Home (The MIT Press)
- 2019-11-12Finding Our Place in the Universe: How We Discovered Laniakea—the Milky Way's Home 2019
- 2019-05-09Finding our Place in the Solar System
- 2019-03-26Finding our Place in the Solar System
- 2011-11-19Government's Place in the Market (Boston Review Books)
- 2011-11-09Government's Place in the Market
- 2011-10-02[request]The Resilient Enterprise - Removed
- 2011-08-11Government's Place in the Market
- 2011-08-09The MIT Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Sciences
- 2011-08-03The MIT Guide to Teaching Web Site Design
- 2021-08-10The Web of Meaning Integrating Science and Traditional Wisdom to Find Our Place in the Universe [Audiobook]
- 2021-05-12The Hidden Beauty of the Microscopic World: What the tiniest forms of life can tells us about existence and our place in the universe
- 2020-11-24Cosmic Odyssey: How Intrepid Astronomers at Palomar Observatory Changed our View of the Universe (The MIT Press)
- 2019-11-07The Privileged Planet How Our Place in the Cosmos Is Designed for Discovery
- 2019-09-26Ancient Skies S01e03 Our Place In The Universe Web H264 underbelly
- 2019-09-04Ancient Skies S01e03 Our Place In The Universe 720p Web H264 underbelly
- 2019-08-24The Privileged Planet How Our Place in the Cosmos Is Designed for Discovery
- 2018-12-15Cosmology in Theological Perspective Understanding Our Place in the Universe
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.