[share_ebook] Framed Narratives: Diderot's Genealogy of the Beholder (Theory and History of Literature)
Author: Jay Caplan, Jochen Schulte-Sasse
Publisher: Univ Of Minnesota Press
Posted on 2011-10-27, by sharebookfree.
Framed Narratives: Diderot's Genealogy of the Beholder (Theory and History of Literature)
Jay Caplan, Jochen Schulte-Sasse | Univ Of Minnesota Press | 1985-12-27 | 144 pages | English | PDF
Framed Narratives was first published in 1985. Minnesota Archive Editions uses digital technology to make long-unavailable books once again accessible, and are published unaltered from the original University of Minnesota Press editions.
The work of French philosophe Denis Diderot (1713-1784) has inspired conflicting reactions in those who encounter him. Diderot has been admired and despised; he has moved his readers and irritated them - often at the same time. His work continually shifts between mutually exclusive positions - neither of which provides an entirely satisfactory answer to the question at hand, yet neither of which can be disregarded. The nature of these paradoxes has been the fundamental problem in Diderot, a problem that his interpreters have approached by imagining synthetic perspectives or frames within which the paradoxes could be resolved.
In Framed Narratives, Jay Caplan focuses on the problem of framing in and of Diderot. He proposes an interpretive model that draws upon the notion of dialogue developed by Mikhail Bakhtin. For Bakhtin, no utterance can be reduced to a univocal meaning; one's discourse is always marked by other voices. In Diderot, Caplan shows, the narrative device of the tableau engages the reader (or beholder) in a dialogic relationship with the author and the characters. Diderot defines the players of those roles as members of a family, one of whom is always missing, and that sacrificial relationship becomes an integral part of the text. Caplan then uses the concept of the tableau to interpret the rhetoric of gender, genre, and pathos in Diderot's works for and about the theater, his novel The Nun, the philosophical dialogue D'Alembert's Dream,and his correspondence.
What emerges from these readings is not only an interpretation of certain texts, but a description of Diderot'sâ€”and, by implication, early bourgeoisâ€”poetics. Framed Narratives is, in addition, one of the first attempts to rely upon Bakhtin's concepts in the interpretation of specific texts, in this case the work of an essentially dialogic writer. A socio-historical supplement to Framed Narratives is provided in Jochen Schulte-Sasse's afterword.
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- Ebooks list page : 14792
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Framed Narratives: Diderot's Genealogy of the Beholder (Theory and History of Literature)
- 2011-08-01Framed Narratives: Diderot's Genealogy of the Beholder (Theory and History of Literature)
- 2013-07-29Framed Narratives: Diderot's Genealogy of the Beholder (repost)
- 2011-07-24Framed Narratives: Diderot's Genealogy of the Beholder
- 2017-11-10[PDF] Readings: The Poetics of Blanchot, Joyce, Kakfa, Kleist, Lispector, and Tsvetayeva (Theory and History of Literature)
- 2017-11-08[PDF] The Unremarkable Wordsworth (Theory and History of Literature)
- 2011-11-19Culture of the Baroque: Analysis of a Historical Structure (Theory and History of Literature)
- 2011-06-21From Topic to Tale: Logic and Narrativity in the Middle Ages (Theory and History of Literature)
- 2010-07-07The Colonial Harem (Theory and History of Literature) [Illustrated]
- 2020-02-22The Pocket Companion and History of Free-Masons: Containing Their Origine, Progress, and Present State: An Abstract of Their Laws, Constitutions, ... and Conduct of the Brethren. a Confutation of
- 2020-01-24Medicalizing Counselling: Issues and Tensions (Palgrave Studies in the Theory and History of Psychology)
- 2020-01-13Dialogues at the Edge of American Psychological Discourse: Critical and Theoretical Perspectives (Palgrave Studies in the Theory and History of Psychology)
- 2020-01-13Validating Psychological Constructs: Historical, Philosophical, and Practical Dimensions (Palgrave Studies in the Theory and History of Psychology)
- 2020-01-02The Hebrew Bible and History: Critical Readings (T&T Clark Critical Readings in Biblical Studies)
- 2019-12-21Social Philosophy of Science for the Social Sciences (Theory and History in the Human and Social Sciences)
- 2019-12-12Subjectivity and Knowledge: Generalization in the Psychological Study of Everyday Life (Theory and History in the Human and Social Sciences)
- 2019-12-07Re-envisioning Theoretical Psychology: Diverging Ideas and Practices (Palgrave Studies in the Theory and History of Psychology)
- 2019-12-01Psychology’s Misuse of Statistics and Persistent Dismissal of its Critics (Palgrave Studies in the Theory and History of Psychology)
- 2019-11-26Psychological Studies of Science and Technology (Palgrave Studies in the Theory and History of Psychology)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.