Freedom on Trial: The First Post Civil War Battle over Civil Rights and Voter Suppression [Audiobook]
Posted on 2021-02-10, by nokia241186.
English | ASIN: B08R98J1N6 | 2021 | 13 hours and 45 minutes |
The Confederacy lost the Civil War but quickly began to win the peace when a mysterious organization arose called the Ku Klux Klan. The Ku Klux, as it was then called, sought to restore white supremacy by terrorizing the formerly enslaved to prevent them from voting or owning firearms. To support Black resistance to the KKK's campaign of murder and mayhem, President Ulysses S. Grant suspended the writ of habeas corpus in large portions of South Carolina and sent the famed 7th Cavalry to make mass arrests.
Grant's new attorney general, the first former Confederate to serve in a presidential Cabinet and an ardent advocate for Black equality, Amos T. Akerman, aggressively prosecuted the Ku Klux in a series of sensational trials that shocked the nation and forced a reckoning regarding just how much the Civil War and the recently enacted 14th and 15th amendments to the Constitution had changed America and its notions of citizenship.
Highlighting forgotten Black and White civil rights pioneers and weaving in the story of the author's own great-grandfather's crimes as a member of the Ku Klux Klan, Freedom on Trial tells a gripping story of a moment pregnant with promise when race relations in the United States might have taken a dramatically different turn.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 46522
- 2017-11-18[PDF] The Last Post-Cold War Socialist Federation: Ethnicity, Ideology and Democracy in Ethiopia (Federalism Studies)
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Integrating the Gridiron: Black Civil Rights and American College Football
- 2012-06-24Integrating the Gridiron: Black Civil Rights and American College Football
- 2017-09-18The Lebanese Post-Civil War Novel Memory, Trauma, and Capital - Removed
- 2012-05-16The Horse Soldier 1776-1943 Vol.IV: World War I, the Peacetime Army, World War II 1917-1943
- 2012-03-13Yakovlev Yak-23: The First Yakovlev Jet Fighters (Mushroom Yellow Series No.6124)
- 2012-01-08New In Chess: The First 25 Years 1984 - 2009, An Anthology - Removed
- 2011-12-17America's Future in Space: Aligning the Civil Space Program with National Needs - Committee On The Rationale And Goals Of The U.S. Civil Space Program, National Research Council
- 2011-12-04No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II (Osprey General Military) - No Greater Ally, The Untold Story, World War, Osprey General Military
- 2011-11-25America's Future in Space: Aligning the Civil Space Program with National Needs - Committee On The Rationale And Goals Of The U.S. Civil Space Program, National Research Council
- 2011-08-26Apollo 11 - The First Giant Leap for Mankind
- 2021-01-28In Search of the Black Fantastic Politics and Popular Culture in the Post-Civil Rights Era
- 2020-08-05Dickey Chapelle Under Fire: Photographs by the First American Female War Correspondent Killed in Action
- 2020-06-29A Piece of the Action Race and Labor in Post Civil Rights Hollywood
- 2020-06-24A Piece of the Action - Race and Labor in Post - Civil Rights Hollywood - Removed
- 2019-07-16The First Way of War American War Making on the Frontier, 1607-1814
- 2019-03-03A Guide To War Publications of the First & Second World War From Training Guides to Propaganda Po
- 2019-02-23A Guide To War Publications of the First & Second World War From Training Guides to Propaganda Po
- 2019-01-31A Guide To War Publications of the First & Second World War From Training Guides to Propaganda Po...
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.