From Tobruk to Tunis The impact of terrain on British operations and doctrine in North Africa, 1940-1943
Posted on 2018-09-07, by nokia241186.
From Tobruk to Tunis: The impact of terrain on British operations and doctrine in North Africa, 1940-1943 (Wolverhampton Military Studies) by Neal Dando
English | April 21st, 2016 | ISBN: 1910294004 | 216 Pages | EPUB | 14.38 MB
This book focuses on the extent to which the physical terrain features across Egypt, Libya and Tunisia affected British operations throughout the campaign in North Africa during the Second World War. One main theme of the work analyses the terrain from the operational and tactical perspective and argues that the landscape features heavily influenced British operations and should now be considered alongside other standard military factors.
The work differs from previous studies in that it considers these additional factors for the entire campaign until the Axis surrender in May 1943. Until now it has been widely assumed that much of the Western Desert coastal plateau was a broadly level, open region in which mobile armored operations were paramount. However this work concentrates on the British operations to show they were driven by the need to capture and hold key features across each successive battlefield. At the operational level planning was led by the need to hold key ground across Libya and especially the province of Cyrenaica during the crucial middle period of the campaign.
A secondary theme of the work argues that British forces began to improvise certain tactical doctrines, which altered the early practice of combined arms assaults into one of the Infantry and Armored formations fighting largely separated battles until the autumn of 1942. Other developments in doctrine which were affected by the terrain included the practice of unit dispersal to hold key ground and the use of temporary units such as Jock columns to harass and engage the enemy. The two themes are inter-linked and contribute fresh insights to the debate on British methods of warfare.
The author has consulted key primary documents, reports, war diaries and published memoirs, from major UK archives and compared these with the campaign historiography to develop the main themes of the work. These include the National Archives, the Churchill Archives Center, the Liddell-Hart Center for Military History, the National Army Museum, John Rylands Center, Imperial War Museum at London and Duxford and London and the Tank Museum Archives at Bovington. The sources include unit war diaries, after action reports, along with many of the key published and some unpublished memoirs. His text is supported by 24 pages of specially commissioned color maps.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 37106
- 2011-11-18The Impact of Academic Research on Industrial Performance
- 2011-08-07The Impact of Academic Research on Industrial Performance
- 2012-01-03From Neurons to Neighborhoods : The Science of Early Childhood Development - Committee On Integrating The Science Of Early Childhood Development, Youth, And Families Board On Ch
- 2020-05-04Bank Capital and Risk-Taking; The Impact of Capital Regulation, Charter Value, and the Business Cycle (Kieler Studien - Kiel Studies Book 337)
- 2019-12-30Climate Change and Air Pollution: The Impact on Human Health in Developed and Developing Countries (Springer Climate)
- 2019-01-28From Biped to Strider The Emergence of Modern Human Walking, Running, and Resource Transport - Removed
- 2018-11-20The Impact of Nitrogen Deposition on Natural and Semi-Natural Ecosystems
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Innovations in Knowledge Management: The Impact of Social Media, Semantic Web and Cloud Computing (Intelligent Systems Reference Library)
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Competition in Marketing: Two Essays on the Impact of Information on Managerial Decisions and on Spatial Product Differentiation - Removed
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Savings and Loan Crisis: Lessons from a Regulatory Failure (The Milken Institute Series on Financial Innovation and Economic Growth)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] The Retreat from Mons 1914: South: The Western Front by Car, by Bike and on Foot
- 2017-12-02[PDF] The Impact of Cognitive Theory on Human and Computer Development
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Extracting Physics from Gravitational Waves: Testing the Strong-field Dynamics of General Relativity and Inferring the Large-scale Structure of the Universe (Springer Theses) - Removed
- 2017-11-18[PDF] The Impact of Cartels on National Economy and Competitiveness: A Lithuanian Case Study - Removed
- 2017-11-18[PDF] From Calcutta with Love: The World War II Letters of Richard and Reva Beard
- 2017-10-15[PDF] Transaction Banking and the Impact of Regulatory Change: Basel III and Other Challenges for the Global Economy
- 2013-12-26Biological DNA Sensor - The Impact of Nucleic Acids on Diseases and Vaccinology
- 2013-12-21Biological DNA Sensor: The Impact of Nucleic Acids on Diseases and Vaccinology
- 2012-05-23Bank Capital and Risk-Taking: The Impact of Capital Regulation, Charter Value, and the Business Cycle [Repost]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.