Posted on 2018-04-12, by nokia241186.
Guild and State: European Political Thought from the Twelfth Century to the Present by Antony Black
English | 31 Oct. 2002 | ISBN: 0765809788 | 320 Pages | AZW3 | 1.83 MB
Guild and State examines the values of social solidarity and fraternity that emerged from medieval guilds and city-communes, and the effect of traditional corporate organization of labor on socioeconomic attitudes and theories of the state. What ordinary guildsmen and townsmen thought about these issues can be gleaned from chronicles, charters, and reported slogans. But in tracing attitudes toward the guilds of early Germanic times to today's equivalent-trade unions-a distinction must be made between popular "ethos" and learned "philosophy." In Europe, from the twelfth to the seventeenth centuries, the corporate organization of labor and of town-market communities developed side-by-side with the ideals of personal liberty, market freedom, and legal equality. Both affected the ideology of the European commune and city-state in specific and discernible ways. Self-governing labor organizations and civil freedom developed together as coherent practices. The values of mutual aid and craft honor on the one hand, and of personal freedom and legal equality on the other, formed the moral infrastructure of our civilization. Alternate ideals balanced, harmonized, and even cross-fertilized one another-as in the principle of freedom of association.Contrary to preconceptions, however, corporate values were seldom expressed philosophically in the Middle Ages. Political theory and the world of learning from the start emphasized liberal values. It was only after the Reformation that guild and communal values found expression in political theory. Even then only a few philosophers acknowledged that solidarity and exchange-the poles around which the values of guild and civil society, respectively, rotate-are not opposites but complementary, and attempted to weave these together into a texture as tough and complex as that of urban society itself. The Enlightenment and industrialization led to an apotheosis of liberal values. Guilds disappeared and were only in part replaced by labor unions; the values of market exchange have since been in the ascendant-though Hegel, Durkheim, and more recently, advocates of liberal corporatism maintain the possibility of a symbiosis between corporate and liberal values. In Guild and State there emerges an alternative history of political thought, which will be fascinating to the general as well as the specialist reader.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36022
- 2020-04-24Crisis and Constitutionalism: Roman Political Thought from the Fall of the Republic to the Age of Revolution
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Crisis and Constitutionalism: Roman Political Thought from the Fall of the Republic to the Age of Revolution
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Crisis and Constitutionalism: Roman Political Thought from the Fall of the Republic to the Age of Revolution
- 2013-05-21Liberty and Property: A Social History of Western Political Thought from the Renaissance to Enlightenment
- 2011-11-15The Primacy of the Political: A History of Political Thought from the Greeks to the French and American Revolutions
- 2012-08-25The History of Islamic Political Thought: From the Prophet to the Present (repost)
- 2012-01-01The History of Islamic Political Thought: From the Prophet to the Present
- 2011-09-12The History of Islamic Political Thought: From the Prophet to the Present
- 2010-04-15A History Of Political Thought From the Middle Ages To The Renaissance
- 2009-12-28A History of Political Thought: From the Middle Ages to the Renaissance
- 2009-10-19A History of Political Thought: From the Middle Ages to the Renaissance
- 2009-05-04A History of Political Thought: From the Middle Ages to the Renaissance, Volume 2
- 2017-11-13A Girl and Her Greens: Hearty Meals from the Garden [UK Edition]
- 2011-09-13Practical Virtualization Solutions: Virtualization from the Trenches 1st edition
- 2011-08-06Practical Virtualization Solutions: Virtualization from the Trenches 1st edition
- 2012-01-01From Vienna to Chicago and Back: Essays on Intellectual History and Political Thought in Europe and America
- 2011-11-10Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Lineages of European Political Thought: Explorations along the Medieval/Modern Divide from John of Salisbury to Hegel
- 2009-03-06Regionalism Across the North-South Divide: State Strategies and Globalization (European Political Science Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.