Author: Konrad Jacobs
Publisher: Princeton University Press
Posted on 2011-10-19, by LionFar.
|Title:Invitation to Mathematics free ebook download
|Description:Based on a well-received course designed for philosophy students, this book is an informal introduction to mathematical thinking. The work will be rewarding not only for philosophers concerned with mathematical questions but also for serious amateur mathematicians with an interest in the "frontiers" as well as the foundations of mathematics. In what might be termed a sampler of the discipline, Konrad Jacobs discusses an unusually wide range of topics, including such items of contemporary interest as knot theory, optimization theory, and dynamical systems. Using Euclidean geometry and algebra to introduce the mathematical mode of thought, the author then turns to recent developments. In the process he offers what he calls a "Smithsonian of mathematical showpieces": the five Platonic Solids, the Mbius Strip, the Cantor Discontinuum, the Peano Curve, Reidemeister's Knot Table, the plane ornaments, Alexander's Horned Sphere, and Antoine's Necklace. The treatments of geometry and algebra are followed by a chapter on induction and one on optimization, game theory, and mathematical economics. The chapter on topology includes a discussion of topological spaces and continuous mappings, curves and knots, Euler's polyhedral formula for surfaces, and the fundamental group. The last chapter deals with dynamics and contains material on the Game of Life, circle rotation, Smale's "horseshoe," and stability and instability, among other topics.
Download Invitation to Mathematics free ebook download
Download from DEPOSITFILES
Download from FILESONIC
- Ebooks list page : 14576
- 2012-01-26Solitons in Mathematics and Physics (CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-18Geometric Integration Theory (Dover Books on Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-18Invitation to Topological Robotics (Zurich Lectures in Advanced Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-18Foundations of Mathematical Logic (Dover Books on Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2012-01-23The Music of the Primes: Searching to Solve the Greatest Mystery in Mathematics free ebook download
- 2011-12-28The Topological Classification of Stratified Spaces (Chicago Lectures in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-12-21An Introduction to Difference Equations (Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-12-20Global Differential Geometry (Springer Proceedings in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-12-15The Stanford Mathematics Problem Book: With Hints and Solutions (Dover Books on Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-12-14Calculus II (Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-25Initial-boundary value problems and the Navier-Stokes equations, Volume 136 (Pure and Applied Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-24Topics in Validated Computations: Proceedings of Imacs-Gamm International Workshop on Validated Computations, Oldenburg, Germany, 30 August - 3 Sept (Studies in Computational Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-20Polynomials and Vanishing Cycles (Cambridge Tracts in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-20KdV & KAM (Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete. 3. Folge A Series of Modern Surveys in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-20Representations of AF-Algebras and of the Group U. (infinite) (Lecture Notes in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-20Regularly Varying Functions (Lecture Notes in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-20Le Cycles and Hypersurface Singularities (Lecture Notes in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-20Parameter Estimation in Stochastic Differential Equations (Lecture Notes in Mathematics) free ebook download
- 2011-11-20Free Boundary Problems (International Series of Numerical Mathematics) free ebook download
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.