Posted on 2017-01-23, by everest555.
Jeff Porter - Lost Sound: The Forgotten Art of Radio Storytelling
English | Size: 288.73 MB
Category: Entertainment Business
In Lost Sound, Jeff Porter examines the vital interplay between acoustic techniques and modernist practices in the growth of radio.
Concentrating on the 1930s through the 1970s, but also speaking to the rising popularity of today's narrative broadcasts, Porter's close readings of key radio programs show how writers adapted literary techniques to an acoustic medium with great effect. Addressing avant-garde sound poetry and experimental literature on the air, alongside industry policy and network economics, Porter identifies the ways radio challenged the conventional distinctions between highbrow and lowbrow cultural content to produce a dynamic popular culture.
Jeff Porter has brilliantly filled the huge gap on radio's greatest contributions to twentieth-century American culture by offering the strongest argument to date that the first electronic mass medium brought something of genuine significance to the nation's literary canon. Lost Sound is thorough and timely, and the narrative is lucid and consequential. I'm pleased and thrilled that there will now exist--at long last--a definitive work on the subject.--Michael C. Keith, Boston College
Lost Sound shows that in our phonophobic culture, we have forgotten to attend to radio's literary past, preferring to see our precious written word as the primary source of literary expression. As Jeff Porter reveals, however, sound technologies such as radio offer powerful and alternative modes of artistic production. Writing with real beauty, energy, and verve, Jeff Porter has made a significant contribution to our critical understanding of this important medium.--Kathy M. Newman, Carnegie Mellon University
--This text refers to the MP3 CD edition.
About the Author
Jeff Porter is the author of the memoir Oppenheimer Is Watching Me. His essays have appeared in Antioch Review, Isotope, Northwest Review, Shenandoah, Missouri Review, Hotel Amerika, Wilson Quarterly, and Contemporary Literature, among other journals. Porter is an associate professor in English at the University of Iowa.
- Ebooks list page : 30674
- 2018-07-13Lost Sound: The Forgotten Art of Radio Storytelling
- 2017-10-04[PDF] Lost Sound: The Forgotten Art of Radio Storytelling
- 2017-09-12Lost Sound The Forgotten Art of Radio Storytelling
- 2018-07-31Fire Making: The Forgotten Art of Conjuring Flame with Spark Tinder and Skill
- 2018-07-31Fire Making - The Forgotten Art of Conjuring Flame with Spark, Tinder, and Skill
- 2018-07-17Fire Making: The Forgotten Art of Conjuring Flame with Spark, Tinder, and Skill
- 2018-06-26Fire Making - The Forgotten Art of Conjuring Flame with Spark, Tinder, and Skill
- 2018-06-18Fire Making The Forgotten Art of Conjuring Flame with Spark, Tinder, and Skill
- 2018-06-09Fire Making The Forgotten Art of Conjuring Flame with Spark, Tinder, and Skill
- 2018-06-08Fire Making The Forgotten Art of Conjuring Flame with Spark, Tinder, and Skill
- 2018-06-05Fire Making: The Forgotten Art of Conjuring Flame with Spark, Tinder, and Skill
- 2013-01-02Heavenly Mathematics: The Forgotten Art of Spherical Trigonometry
- 2012-02-11Art to Heart Book, Jingle All The Way - Art To Heart
- 2019-01-03Lost Genius The Story of a Forgotten Musical Maverick
- 2018-11-01Lost Genius The Story of a Forgotten Musical Maverick
- 2018-07-15The Lost Indictment of Robert E. Lee The Forgotten Case against an American Icon
- 2018-06-08Immersive Sound The Art and Science of Binaural and Multi-Channel Audio
- 2018-04-27Immersive Sound: The Art and Science of Binaural and Multi-Channel Audio
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Whole Art of Detection: Lost Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.