Posted on 2021-01-07, by nokia241186.
English | 2017 | ISBN: 0806156961 | 274 Pages | PDF | 63 MB
From April to November 1935 in Belgium, fifteen Lakotas enacted their culture on a world stage. Wearing beaded moccasins and eagle-feather headdresses, they set up tepees, danced, and demonstrated marksmanship and horse taming for the twenty million visitors to the Brussels International Exposition, a grand event similar to a world's fair. The performers then turned homeward, leaving behind 157 pieces of Lakota culture that they had used in the exposition, ranging from costumery to weaponry. In Lakota Performers in Europe, author Steve Friesen tells the story of these artifacts, forgotten until recently, and of the Lakota performers who used them.
The 1935 exposition marked a culmination of more than a century of European travel by American Indian performers, and of Europeans' fascination with Native culture, fanned in part by William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody's Wild West from the late 1800s through 1913. Although European newspaper reports often stereotyped Native performers as "savages," American Indians were drawn to participate by the opportunity to practice traditional aspects of their culture, earn better wages, and see the world. When the organizers of the 1935 exposition wanted to include an American Indian village, Sam Lone Bear, Thomas and Sallie Stabber, Joe Little Moon, and other Lakotas were eager to participate. By doing this, they were able to preserve their culture and influence European attitudes toward it. Friesen narrates these Lakotas' experiences abroad. In the process, he also tells the tale of collector Francois Chladiuk, who acquired the Lakotas' artifacts in 2004. More than 300 color and black-and-white photographs document the collection of items used by the performers during the exposition.
Friesen portrays a time when American Indians-who would not long after return to Europe as allies and liberators in military garb-appeared on the international stage as ambassadors of the American West. Lakota Performers in Europe offers a complex view of a vibrant culture practiced and preserved against tremendous odds.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 46074
- 2018-06-18Lakota Performers in Europe Their Culture and the Artifacts They Left Behind
- 2018-06-12Lakota Performers in Europe Their Culture and the Artifacts They Left Behind
- 2021-04-21The Lost Boys of Montauk: The True Story of the Wind Blown, Four Men Who Vanished at Sea, and the Survivors They Left Behind
- 2020-10-12The World's Bloodiest History: Massacre, Genocide, and the Scars they Left on Civilization
- 2018-12-13Last Night at the Viper Room River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind
- 2017-10-13[PDF] A Company of Heroes: Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us
- 2017-02-16[PDF] A Company of Heroes: Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us
- 2013-12-18Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind
- 2009-04-07Reasons to Believe: One Man's Journey Among the Evangelicals and the Faith He Left Behind
- 2021-08-02The Lives They Left Behind Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Dunkirk - The Men They Left Behind
- 2012-12-29The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic (Repost)
- 2012-10-09Dunkirk - The Men They Left Behind
- 2012-06-03The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic
- 2007-06-21Transgressions Vol. 2: The Ransome Women. The Things They Left Behind
- 2020-12-05The Idea of Central Europe Geopolitics, Culture and Regional Identity
- 2018-06-24They Will Have Their Game Sporting Culture and the Making of the Early American Republic
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Witnessing the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars in German Central Europe (War, Culture and Society, 1750-1850) [German] - Removed
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Saving the Forsaken: Religious Culture and the Rescue of Jews in Nazi Europe
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.