Posted on 2021-08-18, by Jockerss.
Language, Nation, Race - Linguistic Reform in Meiji Japan (1868-1912) 
epub | 2.01 MB | English | Isbn: 0520381718 | Author: Atsuko Ueda | Year: 2021
A free open access ebook is available upon publication. Learn more at www.luminosoa.org.Language, Nation, Race explores the various language reforms at the onset of Japanese modernity, a time when a "national language" (kokugo) was produced to standardize Japanese. Faced with the threat of Western colonialism, Meiji intellectuals proposed various reforms to standardize the Japanese language in order to quickly educate the illiterate masses. This book liberates these language reforms from the predetermined category of the "nation," for such a notion had yet to exist as a clear telos to which the reforms aspired. Atsuko Ueda draws on, while critically intervening in, the vast scholarship of language reform that engaged with numerous works of postcolonial and cultural studies. She examines the first two decades of the Meiji period, with specific focus on the issue of race, contending that no analysis of imperialism or nationalism is possible without it.
Category:History of Japan, Japanese Language Instruction, Linguistics
Hosters: Rapidgator |Nitroflare
- Ebooks list page : 49039
- 2021-09-04Language, Nation, Race Linguistic Reform in Meiji Japan (1868-1912) (New Interventions in Japanese Studies Book 1)
- 2021-08-16Language, Nation, Race Linguistic Reform in Meiji Japan (1868-1912)
- 2021-06-06Language, Nation, Race: Linguistic Reform in Meiji Japan (1868 1912) (Volume 1)
- 2021-06-03Language, Nation, Race: Linguistic Reform in Meiji Japan (1868-1912) (Volume 1)
- 2014-06-18Vicarious Language: Gender and Linguistic Modernity in Japan
- 2014-06-11Vicarious Language: Gender and Linguistic Modernity in Japan [Repost]
- 2012-04-02Vicarious Language: Gender and Linguistic Modernity in Japan [Repost]
- 2010-04-03Vicarious Language: Gender and Linguistic Modernity in Japan (Asia: Local Studies / Global Themes)
- 2021-11-23A Missionary Nation: Race, Religion, and Spain's Age of Liberal Imperialism, 1841-1881
- 2021-09-03The Ambiguity of English as a Lingua Franca Politics of Language and Race in South Africa
- 2021-06-02Multilingual Singapore: Language Policies and Linguistic Realities
- 2021-05-17Africans and Native Americans: The Language of Race and the Evolution of Red Black Peoples [Audiobook]
- 2021-04-14The Emergence of Meiji Japan
- 2021-04-10The Emergence of Meiji Japan
- 2021-01-22The Greatest Problem Religion and State Formation in Meiji Japan
- 2020-12-07Effecting Change in English Language Teaching Exposing Collaborators and Culprits in Japan
- 2020-05-05Ivory and the Aesthetics of Modernity in Meiji Japan
- 2020-03-07Innovation in Language Teaching and Learning: The Case of Japan
- 2018-09-22Mayor Harold Washington Champion of Race and Reform in Chicago
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.