Life In The Confederate Army And Some Experiences And Sketches Of Southern Life by Arthur Peronneau Ford And Marion Johnstone Ford
Posted on 2007-05-11, updated at 2007-05-27. By anonymous.
Arthur Peronneau Ford was a South Carolina native. After the Civil War, he and his wife, Marion Johnstone Ford, nee Porcher, lived in Charleston. Together they wrote Life in the Confederate Army and Some Experiences and Sketches of Southern Life, which was published in1905. Arthur's memoir describes how he joined the Confederate army's Palmetto Brigade just after the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter in April 1861. Although he was not yet eighteen years old, he was appointed to a position in the post office. After he turned eighteen in 1862, he volunteered for military duty and fought on the battlefield for the remainder of the war.
Marion's "Some Experiences" includes three anecdotes about southern life. Two of the three narratives recount the stories of slaves who remained faithful throughout the war, while the third describes Marion's wartime experiences. Marion begins by telling the story of a slave who rejected freedom in the North and returned to his master's family. Next she includes a humorous sketch about three wealthy sisters and their management of a large plantation. The final story contains recollections of her former nursemaid and slave, "Tay." Marion's final section contains her wartime recollections. She also includes several letters she sent to her husband during the last months of the war.
- Ebooks list page : 89
- 2012-05-20Johnny Reb: Uniform of the Confederate Army 1861-1865 (The G.I.Series #5)
- 2012-06-07The German Army in World War II (Osprey General Military) - Removed
- 2012-06-03The Sherman at War: (2) The US Army in the European Theater 1943-45 (Concord 7036)
- 2012-06-03A Desperate Business: Wellington, the British Army and the Waterloo Campaign
- 2011-11-01Small Arms Integration Book (Rifle Accessories)
- 2009-06-12The Confederate Army 1861-65: Louisiana and Texas v. 3
- 2009-06-12The Confederate Army 1861-65: Virginia and Arkansas v. 4
- 2009-05-15The Confederate Army 1861-65: Florida, Alabama and Georgia
- 2018-11-15Enduring the Whirlwind The German Army and the Russo-German War 1941-1943 (Wolverhampton Military Studies)
- 2018-09-22Monty's Men The British Army and the Liberation of Europe
- 2018-09-20At War's Summit The Red Army and the Struggle for the Caucasus Mountains in World War II
- 2018-07-31At War's Summit The Red Army and the Struggle for the Caucasus Mountains in World War II
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Sherman Tanks of the British Army and Royal Marines: Normandy Campaign 1944 (Tankcraft)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Confederate Army 1861-65 (6): Missouri, Kentucky & Maryland (Men-at-Arms) (v. 6)
- 2017-12-30[PDF] The AEF Way of War: The American Army and Combat in World War I
- 2017-11-28[PDF] Big Wars and Small Wars: The British Army and the Lessons of War in the 20th Century (Military History and Policy)
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Raising Churchill's Army: The British Army and the War against Germany 1919-1945
- 2017-04-07[PDF] The Greatest Game: The Montreal Canadiens, the Red Army, and the Night That Saved Hockey
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Big Wars and Small Wars: The British Army and the Lessons of War in the 20th Century (Military History and Policy)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.