Posted on 2018-09-13, by nokia241186.
Lincoln in the World: The Making of a Statesman and the Dawn of American Power by Kevin Peraino
English | October 29, 2013 | ISBN: 0307887200, 0307887219 | EPUB | 432 pages | 7.4 MB
A captivating look at how Abraham Lincoln evolved into one of our seminal foreign-policy presidents-and helped point the way to America's rise to world power.
This is the story of one of the most breathtaking feats in the annals of American foreign policy-performed by one of the most unlikely figures. Abraham Lincoln is not often remembered as a great foreign-policy president. He had never traveled overseas and spoke no foreign languages. And yet, during the Civil War, Lincoln and his team skillfully managed to stare down the Continent's great powers-deftly avoiding European intervention on the side of the Confederacy. In the process, the United States emerged as a world power in its own right.
Engaging, insightful, and highly original, Lincoln in the World is a tale set at the intersection of personal character and national power. The narrative focuses tightly on five distinct, intensely human conflicts that helped define Lincoln's approach to foreign affairs-from his debate, as a young congressman, with his law partner over the conduct of the Mexican War, to his deadlock with Napoleon III over the French occupation of Mexico. Bursting with colorful characters like Lincoln's bowie-knife-wielding minister to Russia, Cassius Marcellus Clay; the cunning French empress, Eugenie; and the hapless Mexican monarch Maximilian-Lincoln in the World draws a finely wrought portrait of a president and his team at the dawn of American power.
In the Age of Lincoln, we see shadows of our own world. The international arena in the 1860s could be a merciless moral vacuum. Lincoln's times demanded the cold, realistic pursuit of national interest, and, in important ways, resembled our own increasingly multipolar world. And yet, like ours, Lincoln's era was also an information age, a period of rapid globalization. Steamships, telegraph wires, and proliferating new media were transforming the world. Global influence required the use of "soft power" as well as hard.
Anchored by meticulous research into overlooked archives, Lincoln in the World reveals the sixteenth president to be one of America's indispensable diplomats-and a key architect of America's emergence as a global superpower. Much has been written about how Lincoln saved the Union, but Lincoln in the World highlights the lesser-known-yet equally vital-role he played on the world stage during those tumultuous years of war and division.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 37135
- 2018-07-28Just War Against Terror The Burden Of American Power In A Violent World
- 2017-12-05[PDF] The Decline of American Power: The U.S. in a Chaotic World
- 2017-10-27[PDF] The Age of Lincoln and the Art of American Power, 1848-1876
- 2012-01-11The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power - David E. Sanger
- 2011-12-27The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power - David E. Sanger
- 2011-12-22The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power - David E. Sanger
- 2011-12-16The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power - David E. Sanger
- 2011-12-01The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power - David E. Sanger
- 2011-11-02The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power free ebook download
- 2010-04-12The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power
- 2010-01-25David E. Sanger, "The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power"
- 2009-05-20David E. Sanger, "The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges to American Power"
- 2021-01-31Iraq, Vietnam, and the Limits of American Power
- 2021-01-20Becoming Tom Thumb Charles Stratton, P. T. Barnum, and the Dawn of American Celebrity
- 2021-01-05Iraq, Vietnam, and the Limits of American Power
- 2020-12-27Human Rights and the Negotiation of American Power
- 2020-07-25The Savage Wars of Peace: Small Wars and the Rise of American Power
- 2019-07-11Theodore Roosevelt and the Art of American Power An American for All Time
- 2018-08-14Hello, Everybody! The Dawn of American Radio
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.