Posted on 2014-03-23. By anonymous.
J. Paul Getty Museum | 2005 | ISBN: 0892367857 | English | PDF | 288 pages | 47.02 Mb
“Today we associate the Renaissance with painting, sculpture, and architectureâ€”the â€œmajorâ€ arts. Yet contemporaries often held the â€œminorâ€ artsâ€”gem-studded goldwork, richly embellished armor, splendid tapestries and embroideries, music, and ephemeral multi-media spectaclesâ€”in much higher esteem. Isabella dâ€™Este, Marchesa of Mantua, was typical of the Italian nobility: she bequeathed to her children precious stone vases mounted in gold, engraved gems, ivories, and antique bronzes and marbles; her favorite ladies-in-waiting, by contrast, received mere paintings. Renaissance patrons and observers extolled finely wrought luxury artifacts for their exquisite craftsmanship and the symbolic capital of their components; paintings and sculptures in modest materials, although discussed by some literati, were of lesser consequence.
This book endeavors to return to the mainstream material long marginalized as a result of historical and ideological biases of the intervening centuries. The author analyzes how luxury arts went from being lofty markers of ascendancy and discernment in the Renaissance to being dismissed as â€œdecorativeâ€ or â€œminorâ€ artsâ€”extravagant trinkets of the rich unworthy of the status of Art. Then, by re-examining the objects themselves and their uses in their day, she shows how sumptuous creations constructed the world and taste of Renaissance women and men.”
I: The Demise of Luxury Arts
Rank, not Genius
Art Academy as Social Strategy
Vasariâ€™s Imaginary Lives
â€œArt and Nature Play with One Anotherâ€
The Eighteenth Century: A Turning Point or Continuity?
The Age of Public Museums in Art Education
Back to the â€œPeriod Eyeâ€
II: The Powers of Gold and Precious Stones
The Spiritual Aura of Gold and Gems
The Magical Powers of Metals and Gems
Geography and Learning
Goldwork and Diplomacy
Gold, Automata, and the Culture of Wonder
The Royal Table
The Language of Personal Adornment
III: Woven Narrative of Rule
Princely Art par Excellence
The Language of Allegories
Tapestries as Gifts and Competition
Tapestries for Social Climbing
Making and Marketing
IV: Armor: The High Art of War
The Ubiquity of War, the Practicality of Armor
Parade Armor: The Theater of Supremacy
Leading Armorers of the Day
Production and Techniques
V: Sweet Voices and Fanfares
Court Festivities and Music
VI: The Seduction of All Senses
The Wedding of the Century
The Ephemeral War
Civic Pride and Private Ostentation
The Final Journey and Perpetual Memory
- Ebooks list page : 25701
- 2018-10-12Marina Belozerskaya, Luxury Arts of the Renaissance
- 2017-12-01[PDF] The Triumph of the Cross: The Passion of Christ in Theology and the Arts from the Renaissance to the Counter-Reformation
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Triumph of the Cross: The Passion of Christ in Theology and the Arts from the Renaissance to the Counter-Reformation
- 2010-02-04The Triumph of the Cross: The Passion of Christ in Theology and the Arts from the Renaissance to the Counter-Reformation.
- 2017-10-28[PDF] The Beauty of the Cross: The Passion of Christ in Theology and the Arts from the Catacombs to the Eve of the Renaissance
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Beauty of the Cross: The Passion of Christ in Theology and the Arts from the Catacombs to the Eve of the Renaissance
- 2014-03-25Gillian Wilson, Catherine Hess, "Summary Catalogue of European Decorative Arts in the J. Paul Getty Museum"
- 2014-03-24Gillian Wilson, "Selections from the Decorative Arts in the J. Paul Getty Museum"
- 2014-01-20When Luxury Meets Art: Forms of Collaboration between Luxury Brands and the Arts - Removed
- 2013-01-11Hearn, Maxwell K., & Judith G. Smith, "Arts of the Sung and YÃ¼an"
- 2013-01-09Campbell, Thomas P., "Tapestry in the Renaissance: Art and Magnificence"
- 2011-10-17Historical Dictionary of the Renaissance
- 2011-02-25Marina Fiorato, "The Madonna of the Almonds"
- 2009-09-27"1434. The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance" by Gavin Menzies
- 2009-07-28The Beauty of the Cross: The Passion of Christ in Theology and the Arts from the Catacombs to the Eve of the Renaissance
- 2008-10-30The Beauty of the Cross: The Passion of Christ in Theology and the Arts from the Catacombs to the Eve of the Renaissance
- 2020-01-13Collaborative Translation: From the Renaissance to the Digital Age (Bloomsbury Advances in Translation)
- 2020-01-04Venice's Secret Service: Organising Intelligence in the Renaissance
- 2019-12-10The Renaissance of the Levant: Arabic and Greek Discourses of Reform in the Age of Nationalism (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - Tension, Transmission, Transformation)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.