[share_ebook] Mechanical Sound: Technology, Culture, and Public Problems of Noise in the Twentieth Century
Author: Karin Bijsterveld
Publisher: The MIT Press
Posted on 2010-09-29, by mmortal.
Since the late nineteenth century, the sounds of technology have been the subject of complaints, regulation, and legislation. By the early 1900s, antinoise leagues in Western Europe and North America had formed to fight noise from factories, steam trains, automobiles, and gramophones, with campaigns featuring conferences, exhibitions, and "silence weeks." And, as Karin Bijsterveld points out in Mechanical Sound, public discussion of noise has never died down and continues today. In this book, Bijsterveld examines the persistence of noise on the public agenda, looking at four episodes of noise and the public response to it in Europe and the United States between 1875 and 1975: industrial noise, traffic noise, noise from neighborhood radios and gramophones, and aircraft noise. She also looks at a twentieth-century counterpoint to complaints about noise: the celebration of mechanical sound in avant-garde music composed between the two world wars.
- Ebooks list page : 7463
- 2009-08-26Mechanical Sound: Technology, Culture, and Public Problems of Noise in the Twentieth Century
- 2008-12-06Mechanical Sound: Technology, Culture, and Public Problems of Noise in the Twentieth Century
- 2010-02-02Lectures on the Relation between Law and Public Opinion in England during the Nineteenth Century
- 2018-11-28Music and Social Movements Mobilizing Traditions in the Twentieth Century
- 2018-11-24Patton And Rommel Men of War in the Twentieth Century
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Witchcraft and Magic in Europe, Vol. 6: The Twentieth Century (Witchcraft and Magic in Europe)
- 2017-04-15[PDF] The encyclopedia of art: Painting, sculpture, architecture, and ornament : from prehistoric times to the twentieth century
- 2011-12-02Faure and French Musical Aesthetics (Music in the Twentieth Century)
- 2011-09-30Earth Materials and Health: Research Priorities for Earth Science and Public Health
- 2022-01-16Common Writing Essays on Literary Culture and Public Debate
- 2021-11-19Understanding Interaction The Relationships Between People, Technology, Culture, and The Environment, Volume 1
- 2020-07-14Pinpoint How GPS Is Changing Technology, Culture, and Our Minds
- 2020-06-14Pakistan at the Crossroads: Domestic Dynamics and External Pressures (Religion, Culture, and Public Life) - Removed
- 2020-04-24The Making of Salafism: Islamic Reform in the Twentieth Century (Religion, Culture, and Public Life)
- 2020-04-24Beyond Individualism: The Challenge of Inclusive Communities (Religion, Culture, and Public Life)
- 2020-04-20Pinpoint: How GPS Is Changing Technology, Culture, and Our Minds
- 2020-02-20Democratic Transition in the Muslim World: A Global Perspective (Religion, Culture, and Public Life)
- 2019-11-21The Limits of Tolerance: Enlightenment Values and Religious Fanaticism (Religion, Culture, and Public Life)
- 2019-02-24Pinpoint How GPS Is Changing Technology, Culture, and Our Minds [Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.