Author: Robin Wilson
Posted on 2020-03-22, by freebook77.
Number theory is the branch of mathematics that is primarily concerned with the counting numbers. Of particular importance are the prime numbers, the 'building blocks' of our number system. The subject is an old one, dating back over two millennia to the ancient Greeks, and for many years has been studied for its intrinsic beauty and elegance, not least because several of its challenges are so easy to state that everyone can understand them, and yet no-one has ever been able to resolve them.
But number theory has also recently become of great practical importance - in the area of cryptography, where the security of your credit card, and indeed of the nation's defence, depends on a result concerning prime numbers that dates back to the 18th century. Recent years have witnessed other spectacular developments, such as Andrew Wiles's proof of 'Fermat's last theorem' (unproved for over 250 years) and some exciting work on prime numbers. In this Very Short Introduction Robin Wilson introduces the main areas of classical number theory, both ancient and modern. Drawing on the work of many of the greatest mathematicians of the past, such as Euclid, Fermat, Euler, and Gauss, he situates some of the most interesting and creative problems in the area in their historical context.
ABOUT THE SERIES: The Very Short Introductions series from Oxford University Press contains hundreds of titles in almost every subject area. These pocket-sized books are the perfect way to get ahead in a new subject quickly. Our expert authors combine facts, analysis, perspective, new ideas, and enthusiasm to make interesting and challenging topics highly readable.
- Ebooks list page : 43058
- 2012-03-31Elliptic Curves: Number Theory and Cryptography by Lawrence C. Washington [REPOST] - Removed
- 2012-03-12Duality in Analytic Number Theory By Peter D. T. A. Elliott
- 2019-08-23Literary Theory A Very Short Introduction
- 2019-06-25Critical Theory A Very Short Introduction - Removed
- 2018-09-08Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction
- 2018-06-04Quantum Theory A Very Short Introduction
- 2018-05-13Art Theory A Very Short Introduction
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Art Theory: A Very Short Introduction
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction
- 2017-11-15[PDF] Game Theory: A Very Short Introduction
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Game Theory: A Very Short Introduction
- 2014-02-06Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction
- 2013-12-12Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction [Repost]
- 2013-11-07Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction [Repost]
- 2013-05-24Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction [Repost]
- 2013-05-05Oxford - Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction 
- 2013-01-09Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction (repost)
- 2012-03-07Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) - Removed
- 2012-03-07Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.