Posted on 2017-10-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: William H. Calvin | Category: Psychology | Language: English | Page: 240 | ISBN: 0195159071 | ISBN13: 9780195159073 |
Description: This book looks back at the simpler versions of mental life in apes, Neanderthals, and our ancestors, back before our burst of creativity started 50,000 years ago. When you can't think about the future in much detail, you are trapped in a here-and-now existence with no "What if?" and "Why me?" William H. Calvin takes stock of what we have now and then explains why we are nearing a crossroads, where mind shifts gears again. The mind's big bang came long after our brain size stopped enlarging. Calvin suggests that the development of long sentences what modern children do in their third year was the most likely trigger. To keep a half-dozen concepts from blending together like a summer drink, you need some mental structuring. In saying "I think I saw him leave to go home," you are nesting three sentences inside a fourth. We also structure plans, play games with rules, create structured music and chains of logic, and have a fascination with discovering how things hang together. Our long train of connected thoughts is why our consciousness is so different from what came before. Where does mind go from here, its powers extended by science-enhanced education but with its slowly evolving gut instincts still firmly anchored in the ice ages? We will likely shift gears again, juggling more concepts and making decisions even faster, imagining courses of action in greater depth. Ethics are possible only because of a human level of ability to speculate, judge quality, and modify our possible actions accordingly. Though science increasingly serves as our headlights, we are out-driving them, going faster than we can react effectively.
A Brief History of the Mind: From Apes to Intellect and Beyond.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32607
- 2017-01-10[PDF] A Brief History of the Mind: From Apes to Intellect and Beyond
- 2018-01-12[PDF] A Brief History Of The Incas: From Rise, Through Reign, To Ruin
- 2017-11-30[PDF] A Brief History of the Western World (with CD-ROM and InfoTrac)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] A Brief History of the Middle East: From Abraham to Arafat
- 2017-11-19[PDF] A Brief History of India: Translated from the French
- 2017-10-13[PDF] A Brief History of String Theory: From Dual Models to M-Theory (The Frontiers Collection)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Brief History of the Smile
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Brief History of the English Reformation
- 2018-01-17[PDF] A Brief History of the Middle East
- 2018-01-06[PDF] A Brief History of the Late Ottoman Empire
- 2018-01-05[PDF] A Brief History of the Universe
- 2017-12-28[PDF] A Brief History of the First World War: Eyewitness Accounts of the War to End All Wars, 1914-18
- 2017-12-26[PDF] A Marxist History of the World: From Neanderthals to Neoliberals (Counterfire)
- 2017-12-23[PDF] A Military History of the Ottomans: From Osman to Ataturk (Praeger Security International)
- 2017-12-23[PDF] A Brief History of the Philosophy of Time
- 2017-12-22[PDF] A Brief History of the Roman Empire (Brief Histories)
- 2017-12-04[PDF] A Brief Stop On the Road From Auschwitz
- 2017-11-28[PDF] A Brief History of the Circumnavigators (Brief Histories)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] A Brief History of the 25th Marines (USMCR Regimental Histories Series) (Volume 1)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.