[PDF] A Hercules in the Cradle: War, Money, and the American State, 1783-1867 (American Beginnings, 1500-1900)
Posted on 2018-01-06, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Max M. Edling | Publisher: University Of Chicago Press | Category: Economy | Language: English | Page: 336 | ISBN: 022618157X | ISBN13: 9780226181578 |
Description: Two and a half centuries after the American Revolution the United States stands as one of the greatest powers on earth and the undoubted leader of the western hemisphere. This stupendous evolution was far from a foregone conclusion at independence. The conquest of the North American continent required violence, suffering, and bloodshed. It also required the creation of a national government strong enough to go to war against, and acquire territory from, its North American rivals. In A Hercules in the Cradle, Max M. Edling argues that the federal governments abilities to tax and to borrow money, developed in the early years of the republic, were critical to the young nations ability to wage war and expand its territory. He traces the growth of this capacity from the time of the founding to the aftermath of the Civil War, including the funding of the War of 1812 and the Mexican War. Edling maintains that the Founding Fathers clearly understood the connection between public finance and power: a well-managed public debt was a key part of every modern state. Creating a debt would always be a delicate and contentious matter in the American context, however, and statesmen of all persuasions tried to pay down the national debt in times of peace. A Hercules in the Cradle explores the origin and evolution of American public finance and shows how the nations rise to great-power status in the nineteenth century rested on its ability to go into debt.
A Hercules in the Cradle: War, Money, and the American State, 1783-1867 (American Beginnings, 1500-1900).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35090
- 2017-01-12[PDF] A Hercules in the Cradle: War, Money, and the American State, 1783-1867 (American Beginnings, 1500-1900)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Planters, Merchants, and Slaves: Plantation Societies in British America, 1650-1820 (American Beginnings, 1500-1900)
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Planters, Merchants, and Slaves: Plantation Societies in British America, 1650-1820 (American Beginnings, 1500-1900)
- 2012-05-20Over There!: The American Soldier in World War I (The G.I.Series #7)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Law of Attraction: How To Attract Money and Manifest The Freedom and Lifestyle You Want (FREE Bonus Inside) (Law Of Attraction, Manifesting Money, Attract Abundance,The Secret)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Almost a Miracle: The American Victory in the War of Independence (Audiobook)
- 2017-12-07[PDF] What Has Government Done to Our Money? and The Case for a 100 Percent Gold Dollar
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Mission to Tokyo: The American Airmen Who Took the War to the Heart of Japan
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Cultures in Conflict The American Civil War: (The Greenwood Cultures in Conflict Series)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Uncle Sam Wants You: World War I and the Making of the Modern American Citizen
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Throes of Democracy: The American Civil War Era 1829-1877
- 2017-10-29[PDF] Eisenhower's Armies: The American-British Alliance during World War II
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Freedom from Fear: The American People in Depression and War, 1929-1945
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Ridgway's Paratroopers: The American Airborne in World War II
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Recast All under Heaven: Revolution, War, Diplomacy, and Frontier China in the 20th Century
- 2017-10-12[PDF] Under Two Flags: The American Navy in the Civil War
- 2017-02-09[PDF] Under Two Flags: The American Navy in the Civil War
- 2017-02-08[PDF] Ridgway's Paratroopers: The American Airborne in World War II
- 2017-02-06[PDF] Cultures in Conflict The American Civil War: (The Greenwood Cultures in Conflict Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.