Posted on 2017-11-26, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Paul A. Rahe | Publisher: Cambridge University Press | Category: Philosophy | Language: English | Page: 436 | ISBN: 0521883903 | ISBN13: 9780521883900 |
Description: Modern republicanism - distinguished from its classical counterpart by its commercial character and jealous distrust of those in power, by its use of representative institutions, and by its employment of a separation of powers and a system of checks and balances - owes an immense debt to the republican experiment conducted in England between 1649, when Charles I was executed, and 1660, when Charles II was crowned. Though abortive, this experiment left a legacy in the political science articulated both by its champions, John Milton, Marchamont Nehdham, and James Harrington, and by its sometime opponent and ultimate supporter Thomas Hobbes. This volume examines these four thinkers, situates them with regard to the novel species of republicanism first championed more than a century before by Niccolo Machiavelli, and examines the debt that he and they owed the Epicurean tradition in philosophy and the political science crafted by the Arab philosophers Alfarabi, Avicenna, and Averroes.
Against Throne and Altar: Machiavelli and Political Theory Under the English Republic.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33812
- 2008-04-18Against Throne and Altar: Machiavelli and Political Theory Under the English Republic
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Site Interaction and Political Geography in the Upper Usumacinta Region during the Late Classic (British Archaeological Reports)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Mass Oratory and Political Power in the Late Roman Republic
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Suffering Soldiers: Revolutionary War Veterans, Moral Sentiment, and Political Culture in the Early Republic
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Kierkegaard, Metaphysics and Political Theory: Unfinished Selves (Bloomsbury Studies in Philosophy)
- 2017-12-05[PDF] Literature, Travel, and Colonial Writing in the English Renaissance, 1545-1625
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Literature, Travel, and Colonial Writing in the English Renaissance, 1545-1625
- 2012-08-21Hannah Arendt and Political Theory: Challenging the Tradition
- 2011-06-15Suffering Soldiers: Revolutionary War Veterans, Moral Sentiment, and Political Culture in the Early Republic
- 2011-09-05Naval Forces' Defense Capabilities Against Chemical and Biological Warfare Threats
- 2019-07-08* (Admirable) - Why You Should Read Political Order and Political Decay: From the Industrial Revolution to the Globalization of Democracy by Francis Fukuyama Online or Download [*MOBI *PDF *EPUB]
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Duration And Political Nature Of The Inca Empire
- 2018-01-29[PDF] World Investment and Political Risk 2012: World Investment Trends and Corporate Perspectives
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Global Liberalism and Political Order: Toward a New Grand Compromise? (Suny Series in Global Politics (Hardcover))
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Democracy, Schooling and Political Education (RLE Edu K)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Rosa Luxemburg: A Permanent Challenge for Political Economy: On the History and the Present of Luxemburg's 'Accumulation of Capital' (Luxemburg International Studies in Political Economy) - Removed
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Debates, Rhetoric and Political Action: Practices of Textual Interpretation and Analysis (Rhetoric, Politics and Society) - Removed
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Peace Formation and Political Order in Conflict Affected Societies
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Covenanting Citizens: The Protestation Oath and Popular Political Culture in the English Revolution
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.