Posted on 2017-12-27, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Louise Young | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 326 | ISBN: 0520275209 | ISBN13: 9780520275201 |
Description: In Beyond the Metropolis, Louise Young looks at the emergence of urbanism in the interwar period, a global moment when the material and ideological structures that constitute "the city" took their characteristic modern shape. In Japan, as elsewhere, cities became the staging ground for wide ranging social, cultural, economic, and political transformations. The rise of social problems, the formation of a consumer marketplace, the proliferation of streetcars and streetcar suburbs, and the cascade of investments in urban development reinvented the city as both socio-spatial form and set of ideas. Young tells this story through the optic of the provincial city, examining four second-tier cities: Sapporo, Kanazawa, Niigata, and Okayama. As prefectural capitals, these cities constituted centers of their respective regions. All four grew at an enormous rate in the interwar decades, much as the metropolitan giants did. In spite of their commonalities, local conditions meant that policies of national development and the vagaries of the business cycle affected individual cities in diverse ways. As their differences reveal, there is no single master narrative of twentieth century modernization. By engaging urban culture beyond the metropolis, this study shows that Japanese modernity was not made in Tokyo and exported to the provinces, but rather co-constituted through the circulation and exchange of people and ideas throughout the country and beyond.
Beyond the Metropolis: Second Cities and Modern Life in Interwar Japan.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34767
- 2013-05-26Beyond the metropolis: second cities and modern life in interwar Japan
- 2017-04-07[PDF] Small Cities: Urban Experience Beyond the Metropolis (Questioning Cities)
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Small Cities: Urban Experience Beyond the Metropolis (Questioning Cities)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Beyond the Northlands: Viking Voyages and the Old Norse Sagas
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Beyond the Stars: Our Origins and the Search for Life in The Universe
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Beyond the Threshold: Afterlife Beliefs and Experiences in World Religions
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Beyond the Hoax: Science, Philosophy and Culture
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Beyond The Borders: American Literature and Post-Colonial Theory
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Beyond the Nanoworld: Quarks, Leptons, and Gauge Bosons
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Beyond the Masks: Race, Gender and Subjectivity (Critical Psychology Series)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Beyond the Screen: Emerging Cinema and Engaging Audiences
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Beyond the Anti-Group: Survival and transformation
- 2017-10-25[PDF] Beyond the Biophysical: Knowledge, Culture, and Power in Agriculture and Natural Resource Management - Removed
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Beyond the Einstein Addition Law and its Gyroscopic Thomas Precession: The Theory of Gyrogroups and Gyrovector Spaces (Fundamental Theories of Physics)
- 2017-10-07[PDF] Beyond The Mafia: Italian Americans And The Development Of Las Vegas (Shepperson Series in History Humanities) [Italian]
- 2017-10-05[PDF] Beyond The Pale: Folklore, Family, and the Mystery of Our Hidden Genes
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Beyond the Anti-Group: Survival and transformation
- 2017-02-10[PDF] Beyond the Masks: Race, Gender and Subjectivity (Critical Psychology Series)
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Beyond the Hoax: Science, Philosophy and Culture
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.