Posted on 2017-12-17, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Timothy Beatley | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 214 | ISBN: 1610914058 | ISBN13: 9781610914055 |
Description: What would it mean to live in cities designed to foster feelings of connectedness to the ocean? As coastal cities begin planning for climate change and rising sea levels, author Timothy Beatley sees opportunities for rethinking the relationship between urban development and the ocean. Modern society is more dependent upon ocean resources than people are commonly aware ofâ€”from oil and gas extraction to wind energy, to the vast amounts of fish harvested globally, to medicinal compounds derived from sea creatures, and more. In Blue Urbanism, Beatley argues that, given all weâ€™ve gained from the sea, city policies, plans, and daily urban life should acknowledge and support a healthy ocean environment. The book explores issues ranging from urban design and land use, to resource extraction and renewable energy, to educating urbanites about the wonders of marine life. Beatley looks at how emerging practices like â€œcommunity supported fisheriesâ€ and aquaponics can provide a sustainable alternative to industrial fishing practices. Other chapters delve into incentives for increasing use of wind and tidal energy as renewable options to oil and gas extraction that damages ocean life, and how the shipping industry is becoming more â€œgreen.â€ Additionally, urban citizens, he explains, have many opportunities to interact meaningfully with the ocean, from beach cleanups to helping scientists gather data. While no one city â€œhas it all figured out,â€ Beatley finds evidence of a changing ethic in cities around the world: a marine biodiversity census in Singapore, decreasing support for shark-finning in Hong Kong, â€œwater plazasâ€ in Rotterdam, a new protected area along the rocky shore of Wellington, New Zealand, â€œbluebeltâ€ planning in Staten Island, and more. Ultimately he explains we must create a culture of â€œocean literacyâ€ using a variety of approaches, from building design and art installations that draw inspiration from marine forms, to encouraging citizen volunteerism related to oceans, to city-sponsored research, and support for new laws that protect marine health. Equal parts inspiration and practical advice for urban planners, ocean activists, and policymakers, Blue Urbanism offers a comprehensive look at the challenges and great potential for urban areas to integrate ocean health into their policy and planning goals.
Blue Urbanism: Exploring Connections Between Cities and Oceans.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34452
- 2019-12-13Blue Urbanism Exploring Connections between Cities and Oceans
- 2017-10-21[PDF] Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections Between Sexuality and Spirituality [Audiobook]
- 2017-10-15[PDF] Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections between Sexuality and Spirituality
- 2017-01-19[PDF] Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections between Sexuality and Spirituality
- 2018-10-31Epigenetics and Pathology Exploring Connections Between Genetic Mechanisms and Disease Expression
- 2018-09-07Epigenetics and Pathology Exploring Connections Between Genetic Mechanisms and Disease Expression
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Connections Between Language And Reading Disabilities
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Philosophy East / West: Exploring Intersections between Educational and Contemplative Practices (Journal of Philosophy of Education)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] The Corona Problem: Connections Between Operator Theory, Function Theory, and Geometry - Removed
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Melodies of the Mind: Connections between psychoanalysis and music
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Melodies of the Mind: Connections between psychoanalysis and music
- 2008-12-06Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections Between Sexuality And Spirituality
- 2021-06-04Translocal Lives and Religion: Connections between Asia and Europe in the Late Modern World
- 2021-06-03Ruraling Education Research: Connections Between Rurality and the Disciplines of Educational Research - Removed
- 2020-03-16Migrant Conversions: Transforming Connections Between Peru and South Korea (Volume 3) (Global Korea)
- 2019-11-22Interface Development for Learning Environments: Establishing Connections Between Users and Learning (SpringerBriefs in Educational Communications and Technology)
- 2019-05-10Philosophy East West Exploring Intersections between Educational and Contemplative Practices
- 2019-03-18Philosophy East West Exploring Intersections between Educational and Contemplative Practices
- 2018-10-13Freeing the Body, Freeing the Mind Writings on the Connections between Yoga and Buddhism - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.