Posted on 2017-12-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Paula Blank | Category: English | Language: English | Page: 224 | ISBN: 0415137799 | ISBN13: 9780415137799 |
Description: The English language in the Renaissance was in many ways a collection of competing Englishes. Paula Blank investigates the representation of alternative vernaculars - the dialects of early modern English - in both linguistic and literary works of the period. Blank argues that Renaissance authors such as Spenser, Shakespeare and Jonson helped to construct the idea of a national language, variously known as 'true' English or 'pure' English or the 'King's English', by distinguishing its dialects - and sometimes by creating those dialects themselves. Broken English reveals how the Renaissance 'invention' of dialect forged modern alliances of language and cultural authority. This book will be of interest to scholars and students of Renaissance studies and Renaissance English literature. It will also make fascinating reading for anyone with an interest in the history of English language.
Broken English: Dialects and the Politics of Language in Renaissance Writings.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34880
- 2014-04-18Broken English: Dialects and the Politics of Language in Renaissance Writings [Repost]
- 2011-01-24Broken English: Dialects and the Politics of Language in Renaissance Writings
- 2008-12-05Broken English: Dialects and the Politics of Language in Renaissance Writings
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Broken Harmony: Shakespeare and the Politics of Music
- 2018-01-11[PDF] International Criminal Justice and the Politics of Compliance
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Global Linguistic Flows: Hip Hop Cultures, Youth Identities, and the Politics of Language
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Why Mars: NASA and the Politics of Space Exploration (New Series in NASA History) - Removed
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Hegel: Religion, Economics, and the Politics of Spirit, 1770-1807 (Ideas in Context)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Security Theology, Surveillance and the Politics of Fear
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Feeling Backward: Loss and the Politics of Queer History
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Israel's Holocaust and the Politics of Nationhood (Cambridge Middle East Studies)
- 2017-11-21[PDF] Purifying Empire: Obscenity and the Politics of Moral Regulation in Britain, India and Australia
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Saving Face: Disfigurement and the Politics of Appearance
- 2017-11-10[PDF] Exhausting Dance: Performance and the Politics of Movement
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Modernist Fiction, Cosmopolitanism and the Politics of Community
- 2017-10-27[PDF] English Fiction and the Evolution of Language, 1850-1914 (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Virginia Woolf and the Politics of Language
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Biological Economies: Experimentation and the politics of agri-food frontiers (Routledge Studies in Food, Society and the Environment)
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Fashioning Africa: Power and the Politics of Dress (African Expressive Cultures)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.