Posted on 2017-12-17, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Joseph M. Ortiz | Category: Art related | Language: English | Page: 280 | ISBN: 0801449316 | ISBN13: 9780801449314 |
Description: Music was a subject of considerable debate during the Renaissance. The notion that music could be interpreted in a meaningful way clashed regularly with evidence that music was in fact profoundly promiscuous in its application and effects. Subsequently, much writing in the period reflects a desire to ward off music's illegibility rather than come to terms with its actual effects. In Broken Harmony Joseph M. Ortiz revises our understanding of music's relationship to language in Renaissance England. In the process he shows the degree to which discussions of music were ideologically and politically charged. Offering a historically nuanced account of the early modern debate over music, along with close readings of several of Shakespeare's plays (including Titus Andronicus, The Merchant of Venice, The Tempest, and The Winter's Tale) and Milton's A Maske, Ortiz challenges the consensus that music's affinity with poetry was widely accepted, or even desired, by Renaissance poets. Shakespeare more than any other early modern poet exposed the fault lines in the debate about music's function in art, repeatedly staging disruptive scenes of music that expose an underlying struggle between textual and sensuous authorities. Such musical interventions in textual experiences highlight the significance of sound as an aesthetic and sensory experience independent of any narrative function.
Broken Harmony: Shakespeare and the Politics of Music.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34460
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Broken English: Dialects and the Politics of Language in Renaissance Writings
- 2018-01-11[PDF] International Criminal Justice and the Politics of Compliance
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Why Mars: NASA and the Politics of Space Exploration (New Series in NASA History) - Removed
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Hegel: Religion, Economics, and the Politics of Spirit, 1770-1807 (Ideas in Context)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Security Theology, Surveillance and the Politics of Fear
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Feeling Backward: Loss and the Politics of Queer History
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Israel's Holocaust and the Politics of Nationhood (Cambridge Middle East Studies)
- 2017-11-21[PDF] Purifying Empire: Obscenity and the Politics of Moral Regulation in Britain, India and Australia
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Saving Face: Disfigurement and the Politics of Appearance
- 2017-11-10[PDF] Exhausting Dance: Performance and the Politics of Movement
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Modernist Fiction, Cosmopolitanism and the Politics of Community
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Biological Economies: Experimentation and the politics of agri-food frontiers (Routledge Studies in Food, Society and the Environment)
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Fashioning Africa: Power and the Politics of Dress (African Expressive Cultures)
- 2017-10-09[PDF] Manuscript Verse Collectors and the Politics of Anti-Courtly Love Poetry
- 2017-10-04[PDF] Affective Mapping: Melancholia and the Politics of Modernism
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Poor States, Power and the Politics of IMF Reform: Drivers of Change in the Post Washington Consensus (International Political Economy Series) - Removed
- 2017-04-10[PDF] American Foreign Policy and The Politics of Fear: Threat Inflation since 9/11 (Routledge Global Security Studies)
- 2017-02-16[PDF] American Foreign Policy and The Politics of Fear: Threat Inflation since 9/11 (Routledge Global Security Studies)
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Exhausting Dance: Performance and the Politics of Movement
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.