[PDF] Claiming the Pen: Women and Intellectual Life in the Early American South
Posted on 2017-11-19, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Catherine Kerrison | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 080144344X |
Description: In 1711, the imperious Virginia patriarch William Byrd II spitefully refused his wife Lucy's plea for a book a century later, Lady Jean Skipwith placed an order that sent the Virginia bookseller Joseph Swan scurrying to please. These vignettes bracket a century of change in white southern women's lives. Claiming the Pen offers the first intellectual history of early southern women. It situates their reading and writing within the literary culture of the wider Anglo-Atlantic world, thus far understood to be a masculine province, even as they inhabited the limited, provincial social circles of the plantation South. Catherine Kerrison uncovers a new realm of female education in which conduct-of-life advice?both the dry pedantry of sermons and the risque plots of novels?formed the core reading program. Women, she finds, learned to think and write by reading prescriptive literature, not Greek and Latin classics, in impromptu home classrooms, rather than colleges and universities, and from kin and friends, rather than schoolmates and professors. Kerrison also reveals that southern women, in their willingness to "take up the pen" and so claim new rights, seized upon their racial superiority to offset their gender inferiority. In depriving slaves of education, southern women claimed literacy as a privilege of their whiteness, and perpetuated and strengthened the repressive institutions of slavery.
Claiming the Pen: Women and Intellectual Life in the Early American South.pdf
Sponsored High Speed Downloads
9589 dl's @ 3214 KB/sDownload Now [Full Version]
7977 dl's @ 2719 KB/sDownload Link 1 - Fast Download
5332 dl's @ 2720 KB/sDownload Mirror - Direct Download
Search More...[PDF] Claiming the Pen: Women and Intellectual Life in the Early American South
Download this book
No active download links here?Please check the description for download links if any or do a search to find alternative books.
- Ebooks list page : 33596
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Informed Power: Communication in the Early American South
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Late Modernism: Art, Culture, and Politics in Cold War America (The Arts and Intellectual Life in Modern America)
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Claiming the Bicycle: Women, Rhetoric, and Technology in Nineteenth-Century America (Studies in Rhetorics and Feminisms)
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Making the Soviet Intelligentsia: Universities and Intellectual Life under Stalin and Khrushchev
- 2021-01-10Hidden Lives, Public Personae Women and Civic Life in the Roman West
- 2020-12-06The Boss Blueprint Your Guide To Becoming A Total Fuking Boss With Women And In Life
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Female chauvinist pigs: Women and the rise of Raunch Culture - Removed
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Big Red: Baseball, Fatherhood, and My Life in the Big Red Machine
- 2017-11-27[PDF] How to Be Happy and Live Life to the Fullest: A Guide to Reaching Your Full Potential
- 2017-11-26[PDF] How to Be Happy and Live Life to the Fullest: A Guide to Reaching Your Full Potential. (Happiness, Success Habits, Feeling Good, Enlightenment)
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Conceiving Cuba: Reproduction, Women, and the State in the Post-Soviet Era
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Beyond Religious Borders: Interaction and Intellectual Exchange in the Medieval Islamic World (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Pevsner - The Early Life: Germany and Art [German]
- 2014-04-21Making the Soviet Intelligentsia: Universities and Intellectual Life under Stalin and Khrushchev
- 2014-02-01Do Museums Still Need Objects? (The Arts and Intellectual Life in Modern America)
- 2021-08-17Revolutionary Backlash Women And Politics In The Early American Republic [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Pluralsight - Android Dreams, Widgets and Notifications: Life Outside Your App - Removed
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Acts of Desire: Women and Sex on Stage 1800-1930
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Telling Stories: Language, Narrative, and Social Life (Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics)
No comments for "[PDF] Claiming the Pen: Women and Intellectual Life in the Early American South".
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.