[PDF] Culture in the American Southwest: The Earth, the Sky, the People (Tarleton State University Southwestern Studies in the Humanities)
Posted on 2017-10-27, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Keith L. Bryant | Publisher: Texas A&M University Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 392 | ISBN: 1623492076 | ISBN13: 9781623492076 |
Description: If the Southwest is known for its distinctive regional culture, it is not only the indigenous influences that make it so. As Anglo Americans moved into the territories of the greater Southwest, they brought with them a desire to reestablish the highest culture of their former homes: opera, painting, sculpture, architecture, and literature. But their inherited culture was altered, challenged, and reshaped by Native American and Hispanic peoples, and a new, vibrant cultural life resulted. From Houston to Los Angeles, from Tulsa to Tucson, Keith L. Bryant traces the development of "high culture" in the Southwest. Humans create culture, but in the Southwest, Bryant argues, the land itself has also influenced that creation. "Incredible light, natural grandeur, . . . and a geography at once beautiful and yet brutal molded societies that sprang from unique cultural sources." The peoples of the American Southwest share a regional consciousnessan experience of placethat has helped to create a unified, but not homogenized, Southwestern culture. Bryant also examines a paradox of Southwestern cultural life. Southwesterners take pride in their cultural distinctiveness, yet they struggled to win recognition for their achievements in "high culture." A dynamic tension between those seeking to re-create a Western European culture and those desiring one based on regional themes and resources continues to stimulate creativity. Decade by decade and city by city, Bryant charts the growth of cultural institutions and patronage as he describes the contributions of artists and performers and of the elites who support them. Bryant focuses on the significant role women played as leaders in the formation of cultural institutions and as writers, artists, and musicians. The text is enhanced by more than fifty photographs depicting the interplay between the people and the land and the culture that has resulted.
Culture in the American Southwest: The Earth, the Sky, the People (Tarleton State University Southwestern Studies in the Humanities).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32831
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Culture in the Marketplace: Gender, Art, and Value in the American Southwest (Objects/Histories)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Culture and the Middle Classes
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Culture from the Inside Out: Travel and Meet Yourself
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Culture/Metaculture (The New Critical Idiom)
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Culture after the Hurricanes: Rhetoric and Reinvention on the Gulf Coast
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Culture and the Therapeutic Process: A Guide for Mental Health Professionals (Counseling and Psychotherapy: Investigating Practice from Scientific, Historical, and Cultural Perspectives)
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Culture Crash: The Killing of the Creative Class
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Culture in the Communication Age (Comedia)
- 2017-02-13[PDF] Culture in the Communication Age (Comedia)
- 2017-02-13[PDF] Culture/Metaculture (The New Critical Idiom)
- 2017-01-16[PDF] Culture Crash: The Killing of the Creative Class
- 2012-01-20Strategic Security Management: A Risk Assessment Guide for Decision Makers - Karim Vellani CPP CSC Earned His M.S. From Sam Houston State University In Criminal Justice Management. He Is A Member Of The International Association Of Crime Ana
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Antarctica and the Humanities (Palgrave Studies in the History of Science and Technology) - Removed
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Computation and the Humanities: Towards an Oral History of Digital Humanities (Springer Series on Cultural Computing)
- 2017-12-23[PDF] Blow Up the Humanities
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Esotericism in African American Religious Experience: There Is a Mystery (Aries Book Series: Texts and Studies in Western Esotericism)
- 2017-11-04[PDF] Focus on Fitness and Wellness: Department of Health and Exercise - North Carolina State University
- 2018-12-05Culture in the Marketplace Gender, Art, and Value in the American Southwest
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Music of the Common Tongue: Survival and Celebration in African American Music (Music/Culture)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.