Posted on 2017-12-03, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Oliver Gaycken | Category: Art related | Language: English | Page: 272 | ISBN: 0199860688 | ISBN13: 9780199860685 |
Description: Devices of Curiosity excavates a largely unknown genre of early cinema, the popular-science film. Primarily a work of cinema history, it also draws on the insights of the history of science. Beginning around 1903, a variety of producers made films about scientific topics for general audiences, inspired by a vision of cinema as an educational medium. This book traces the development of popular-science films over the first half of the silent era, from its beginnings in England to its flourishing in France around 1910. Devices of Curiosity also considers how popular-science films exemplify the circulation of knowledge. These films initially relied upon previous traditions such as the magic-lantern lecture for their representational strategies, and they continually had recourse to established visual iconography, but they also created novel visual paradigms and led to the creation of ambitious new film collections. Finally, the book discerns a transit between nonfictional and fictional modes, seeing affinities between popular-science films and certain aspects of fiction films, particularly Louis Feuillade's crime melodramas. This kind of circulation is important for an understanding of the wider relevance of early popular-science films, which impacted the formation of the documentary, educational, and avant-garde cinemas.
Devices of Curiosity: Early Cinema and Popular Science.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34022
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Devices of Curiosity: Early Cinema and Popular Science
- 2021-12-06Photography, Early Cinema and Colonial Modernity - Frank Hurley's Synchronized Lecture Entertainments
- 2020-10-08Foundational Films: Early Cinema and Modernity in Brazil
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Covenanting Citizens: The Protestation Oath and Popular Political Culture in the English Revolution
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Teaching the Arts: Early Childhood and Primary Education - Removed
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Screening the Sixties: Hollywood Cinema and the Politics of Memory - Removed
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Expresiones y dichos populares / Expressions and Popular Sayings (Spanish)
- 2017-12-30[PDF] The Utopia of Film: Cinema and Its Futures in Godard, Kluge, and Tahimik (Film and Culture Series)
- 2017-12-24[PDF] The Murder Mystique: Female Killers and Popular Culture
- 2017-12-15[PDF] The West in Early Cinema: After the Beginning (Amsterdam University Press - Film Culture in Transition)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Phantom Holocaust: Soviet Cinema and Jewish Catastrophe (Jewish Cultures of the World)
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Humanism: Essays on Race, Religion and Popular Culture
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Beyond the Screen: Emerging Cinema and Engaging Audiences
- 2017-11-05[PDF] Scriptural Authority in Early Judaism and Ancient Christianity (Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Studies)
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Who Were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From?
- 2017-10-14[PDF] Transgressive Bodies: Representations in Film and Popular Culture
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Erotic Revolutionaries: Black Women, Sexuality, and Popular Culture
- 2017-02-06[PDF] The Murder Mystique: Female Killers and Popular Culture
- 2017-01-13[PDF] The Utopia of Film: Cinema and Its Futures in Godard, Kluge, and Tahimik (Film and Culture Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.