Posted on 2017-10-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Christina Fuhrmann | Category: Music | Language: English | Page: 272 | ISBN: 1107022215 | ISBN13: 9781107022218 |
Description: In the early nineteenth century over forty operas by foreign composers, including Mozart, Rossini, Weber and Bellini, were adapted for London playhouses, often appearing in drastically altered form. Such changes have been denigrated as 'mutilations'. The operas were translated into English, fitted with spoken dialogue, divested of much of their music, augmented with interpolations and frequently set to altered libretti. By the end of the period, the radical changes of earlier adaptations gave way to more faithful versions. In the first comprehensive study of these adaptations, Christina Fuhrmann shows how integral they are to our understanding of early nineteenth-century opera and the transformation of London's theatrical and musical life. This book reveals how these operas accelerated repertoire shifts in the London theatrical world, fostered significant changes in musical taste, revealed the ambiguities and inadequacies of copyright law and sparked intense debate about fidelity to the original work.
Foreign Opera at the London Playhouses: From Mozart to Bellini (Cambridge Studies in Opera).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32732
- 2020-07-27Foreign Opera at the London Playhouses: From Mozart to Bellini (Cambridge Studies in Opera)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Justice in America: The Separate Realities of Blacks and Whites (Cambridge Studies in Public Opinion and Political Psychology)
- 2017-11-03[PDF] EU Enlargement and the Constitutions of Central and Eastern Europe (Cambridge Studies in European Law and Policy)
- 2017-04-09[PDF] Gender Hierarchy in the Qur'an: Medieval Interpretations, Modern Responses (Cambridge Studies in Islamic Civilization)
- 2020-02-29US Foreign Policy in the Middle East: From American Missionaries to the Islamic State (Routledge Studies in US Foreign Policy)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Cowboy in the Kitchen: Recipes from Reata and Texas West of the Pecos
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Multiscale Problems in the Life Sciences: From Microscopic to Macroscopic (Lecture Notes in Mathematics) - Removed
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Foreign Relations of the United States, 1969-1976, Volume XI: South Asia Crisis, 1971
- 2018-01-31[PDF] A Dark History : The Roman Emperors: From Julius Caesar to the Fall of Rome
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Say Bonjour to the Lady: Parenting from Paris to New York
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Managing HIV in the Workplace: Learning from SMEs (Hsrc Research Monograph)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] How Life Works: The Inside Word from a Biochemist
- 2018-01-26[PDF] A History of the Soviet Union from the Beginning to the End
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Lucas Mackenzie and the London Midnight Ghost Show
- 2018-01-19[PDF] S Q L: The Ultimate Guide From Beginner To Expert - Learn And Master SQL In No Time!
- 2018-01-16[PDF] A History of the Greek Language: From Its Origins to the Present (Greek Edition)
- 2018-01-13[PDF] A Bibliography of Salon Criticism in Paris from the July Monarchy to the Second Republic, 1831-1851: Volume 2 (Cambridge Studies in the History of Art)
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Daily Life in the Hellenistic Age: From Alexander to Cleopatra (The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Foreign Nations in the Wisdom of Ben Sira: A Jewish Sage between Opposition and Assimilation (Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Studies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.