Posted on 2017-12-04, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Bob Batchelor | Category: Poetry | Language: English | Page: 316 | ISBN: 0810891956 | ISBN13: 9780810891951 |
Description: In 1925, F. Scott Fitzgerald produced his third novel, a slim work for which he had high expectations. Despite such hopes, the novel received mixed reviews and lackluster sales. Over the decades, however, the reputation of The Great Gatsby has grown and millions of copies have been sold. One of the bestselling novels of all time, it is also considered one of the most significant achievements in 20th century fiction. But what makes Gatsby great? Why do we still care about this book more than 85 years after it was published? And how does Gatsby help us make sense of our own lives and times? In Gatsby: The Cultural History of the Great American Novel, Bob Batchelor explores the birth, life, and enduring influence of The Great Gatsbyâ€”from the bookâ€™s publication in 1925 through todayâ€™s headlines filled with celebrity intrigue, corporate greed, and a roller-coaster economy. A cultural historian, Batchelor explains why and how the novel has become part of the fiber of the American ethos and an important tool in helping readers to better comprehend their lives and the broader world around them. A â€œbiographyâ€ of F. Scott Fitzgeraldâ€™s masterpiece, this book examines The Great Gatsbyâ€™s evolution from a nearly-forgotten 1920s time capsule to a revered cultural touchstone. Batchelor explores how this embodiment of the American Dream has become an iconic part of our national folklore, how the central themes and ideas emerging from the bookâ€”from the fulfillment of the American Dream to the role of wealth in societyâ€”resonate with contemporary readers who struggle with similar uncertainties today. By exploring the timeless elements of reinvention, romanticism, and relentless pursuit of the unattainable, Batchelor confirms the novelâ€™s status as â€œThe Great American Novelâ€ and, more importantly, explains to students, scholars, and fans alike what makes Gatsby so great.
Gatsby: The Cultural History of the Great American Novel (Contemporary American Literature).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34065
- 2017-10-11[PDF] Railroads: The Great American Adventure
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Beyond The Borders: American Literature and Post-Colonial Theory
- 2012-05-17Afghanistan: A Military History From Alexander The Great To The Fall Of The Taliban
- 2012-03-12David Darom - The Great Collections: Modern Custom Knives
- 2011-11-04The Skeptic s Guide to the Great Books [The Great Courses]
- 2011-10-03China, India, and the United States: The Future of Economic Supremacy" [The Great Courses]
- 2011-09-28The Myths of Nutrition and Fitness [The Great Courses]
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Frederick the Great: A Military History
- 2018-01-08[PDF] From the Great Wall to Wall Street: A Cross-Cultural Look at Leadership and Management in China and the US - Removed
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Siberia: A Cultural History (Landscapes of the Imagination)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Alexander the Great (Yesterday's Classics) (Makers of History)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Writing the Great War: Sir James Edmonds and the Official Histories, 1915-1948 (Military History and Policy)
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Patagonia: A Cultural History (Landscapes of the Imagination)
- 2017-12-21[PDF] Anatomies: A Cultural History of the Human Body
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Peter the Great: The Struggle for Power, 1671-1725 (New Studies in European History),New Ed
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Memory and Cultural History of the Spanish Civil War: Realms of Oblivion (History of Warfare)
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Alexander the Great: A New History
- 2017-11-01[PDF] For God, Country, and Coca-Cola: The Definitive History of the Great American Soft Drink and the Company That Makes It
- 2017-10-29[PDF] Catalonia: A Cultural History (Landscapes of the Imagination)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.