Posted on 2018-01-07, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Richard M. Smoley | Publisher: TarcherPerigee | Category: Religion Other | Language: English | Page: 320 | ISBN: 0399185550 | ISBN13: 9780399185557 |
Description: This epic, thrilling journey through Bible scholarship and ancient religion shows how much of Scripture is historically falseyet the ancient writings also resound with theologies that crisscrossed the primeval world and that direct us today toward a deep, inner, authentic experience of the truly sacred. From a historical perspective, the Bible is shockingly, provably wronga point supported by today's best archaeological and historical scholarship but not well understood by (or communicated to) the public. Yet this emphatically does not mean that the Bible isn't, in some very real measure, true, argues scholar of mysticism Richard Smoley. Smoley reviews the most authoritative historical evidence to demonstrate that figures such as Moses, Abraham, and Jesus are not only unlikely to have existed, but bear strong composite resemblances to other Near Eastern religious icons. Likewise, the geopolitical and military events of Scripture fail to mesh with the largely settled historical time line and social structures. Smoley meticulously shows how our concepts of the Hebrew and Christian God, including Christ himself, are an assemblage of ideas that were altered, argued over, and editeduntil their canonization. This process, to a large degree, gave Western civilization its consensus view of God. But these conclusions are not cause for nihilism or disbelief. Rather, beneath the metaphorical figures and mythical historicism of Scripture appears an extraordinary, truly transcendent theology born from the most sacred and fully realized spiritual and human insights of the antique Eastern world. Far from being "untrue," the Bible is remarkably, extraordinarily true as it connects us to the sublime insights of our ancient ancestors and points to a unifying ethic behind many of the world's faiths.
How God Became God: What Scholars Are Really Saying About God and the Bible.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35112
- 2017-02-10[PDF] How God Became God: What Scholars Are Really Saying About God and the Bible
- 2017-10-29[PDF] Finding God In The Bible: What Crazy Prophets, Fickle Followers And Dangerous Outlaws Reveal About Friendship With God
- 2018-01-10[PDF] 77 FAQs About God and the Bible: Your Toughest Questions Answered (The McDowell Apologetics Library)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Nietzsche, God, and the Jews: His Critique of Judeo-Christianity in Relation to the Nazi Myth
- 2017-04-08[PDF] How to Vertical Garden: What You Need to Know About Vertical Gardening & Creating a Beautiful Living Wall (The Jonah Green Gardening Series Book 3)
- 2018-12-12Answers Book for Kids Volume 3 - God and the Bible
- 2018-01-16[PDF] When Painkillers Become Dangerous: What Everyone Needs to Know About OxyContin and other Prescription Drugs - Removed
- 2017-10-15[PDF] Zoobiquity: What Animals Can Teach Us About Health and the Science of Healing
- 2017-01-17[PDF] Zoobiquity: What Animals Can Teach Us About Health and the Science of Healing
- 2016-12-1077 FAQs About God and the Bible
- 2011-09-25Porn University: What College Students are Really Saying About Sex on Campus
- 2014-02-21Zoobiquity What Animals Can Teach Us about Health and the Science of Healing (Audiobook)
- 2014-02-15Zoobiquity: What Animals Can Teach Us about Health and the Science of Healing (Audiobook)
- 2012-06-29Zoobiquity - What Animals Can Teach Us About Health and the Science of Healing - Removed
- 2012-06-26Zoobiquity: What Animals Can Teach Us About Health and the Science of Healing - Removed
- 2011-12-09The Mechanics of the Derivatives Markets: What They Are and How They Function
- 2018-01-01[PDF] How Jesus Became God: The Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee
- 2017-10-10[PDF] How God Became Jesus: The Real Origins of Belief in Jesus' Divine Nature -A Response to Bart D. Ehrman
- 2017-01-19[PDF] How God Became Jesus: The Real Origins of Belief in Jesus' Divine Nature -A Response to Bart D. Ehrman
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.