Posted on 2017-10-26, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Pippa Norris | Publisher: Cambridge University Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 294 | ISBN: 1107016991 | ISBN13: 9781107016996 |
Description: This book focuses on three core questions. Is democratic governance good for economic prosperity? Has this type of regime accelerated progress toward achieving the Millennium Development Goals, social welfare, and human development? Does it generate a peace-dividend and reduce conflict at home? Despite the importance of understanding these questions and the vast research literature generated, remarkably little consensus has emerged about any of these issues. Within the international community, democracy and governance are widely advocated as intrinsically desirable and important goals. Nevertheless, alternative schools of thought continue to dispute their consequences - and thus the most effective strategy for achieving a range of critical developmental objectives. Some believe that human development is largely determined by structural conditions in each society, such as geographic location, natural resources, and the reservoir of human capital, so that regimes have minimal impact. Others advocate promoting democracy to insure that leaders are responsive to social needs and accountable to citizens for achieving better schools, clinics, and wages. Yet others counter that governance capacity is essential for delivering basic public services, and state-building is essential in post-conflict reconstruction prior to holding elections. This book advances the argument that both liberal democracy and state capacity need to be strengthened in parallel to ensure effective development, within the constraints posed by structural conditions. Liberal democracy allows citizens to express their demands, to hold public officials to account, and to rid themselves of incompetent, corrupt, or ineffective leaders. Yet rising public demands that cannot be met by the state are a recipe for frustration, generating disillusionment with incumbent officeholders, or, if discontent spreads to becomes more diffuse, with the way that the regime works, or even ultimately with the promise of liberal democracy ideals. Thus governance capacity is also predicted to play a vital role in advancing human security, so that states have the capacity to respond effectively to citizen's demands. The argument is demonstrated using systematic evidence gathered from countries worldwide during recent decades and selected cases illustrating the effects of regime change on development.
Making Democratic Governance Work: How Regimes Shape Prosperity, Welfare, and Peace.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32786
- 2017-10-12[PDF] Making IT Governance Work in a Sarbanes-Oxley World
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Making Preschool Inclusion Work: Strategies for Supporting Children, Teachers, and Programs
- 2017-10-24[PDF] Performing Information Governance: A Step-by-step Guide to Making Information Governance Work (IBM Press)
- 2017-01-07[PDF] Performing Information Governance: A Step-by-step Guide to Making Information Governance Work (IBM Press)
- 2020-02-25Performing Information Governance: A Step-by-step Guide to Making Information Governance Work (IBM Press)
- 2020-01-15Heiner Müller`s Democratic Theater - The Politics of Making the Audience Work (Studies in German Literature Linguistics and Culture, Band 180)
- 2019-07-04Performing Information Governance A Step-by-step Guide to Making Information Governance Work
- 2019-01-30Making IT Governance Work in a Sarbanes-Oxley World
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Game Theory at Work: How to Use Game Theory to Outthink and Outmaneuver Your Competition
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Making Social Technologies Work: Leveraging the Power and Managing Perils of Social Technologies in Business (Palgrave Pocket Consultants) - Removed
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Teach to Work: How a Mentor, a Mentee, and a Project Can Close the Skills Gap in America [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Making Formative Assessment Work
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Making Sense of Math: How to Help Every Student Become a Mathematical Thinker and Problem Solver (ASCD Arias)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Seeing Ourselves Through Technology: How We Use Selfies, Blogs and Wearable Devices to See and Shape Ourselves - Removed
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Making Process Improvement Work for Service Organizations: A Concise Action Guide
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Venture Capitalists at Work: How VCs Identify and Build Billion-Dollar Successes - Removed
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Making Transnational Law Work in the Global Economy: Essays in Honour of Detlev Vagts
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Making up the Mind -How the Brain Creates Our Mental World
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Making Your Own Cheese: How to Make All Kinds of Cheeses in Your Own Home
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.