Posted on 2017-10-09, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Joshua Eckhardt | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 320 | ISBN: 0199559503 | ISBN13: 9780199559503 |
Description: This book reappraises the work of early-seventeenth-century collectors of English Renaissance poetry in manuscript. The verse miscellanies, or poetry anthologies, of these collectors have long attracted the attention of literary editors looking for texts by individual, major authors, and they have more recently interested historians for their poems on affairs of state, called verse libels. By contrast, this book investigates the relationships that the compilers of miscellanies established between such presumably literary and political texts. It focuses on two of the most popular, and least printable, literary genres that they collected: libels, and anti-courtly love poetry, a literary mode that the collectors of John Donne's poems played a major role in establishing. They made Donne the most popular poet in manuscripts of the period, and they demonstrated a special affinity for his most erotic or obscene poems, such as 'To his Mistress going to bed' and 'The Anagram'. Donne collectors also exhibited the similarities between these Ovidian love elegies and the sexually explicit or counter-Petrarchan verse of other authors, thereby organizing a literary genre opposed to the conventions of courtly love lyrics. Furthermore, collectors politicized this genre by relating examples of it to libels. In so doing, manuscript verse collectors demonstrated a type of literary and political activity distinct from that of authors, stationers, and readers. Based on a thorough investigation of manuscript verse miscellanies, the book appeals to scholars and students of early modern English literature and history, Donne studies, manuscript studies, and the history of the book.
Manuscript Verse Collectors and the Politics of Anti-Courtly Love Poetry.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32207
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Manuscript Verse Collectors and the Politics of Anti-Courtly Love Poetry
- 2013-09-25Manuscript Verse Collectors and the Politics of Anti-Courtly Love Poetry (Repost)
- 2012-04-22Manuscript Verse Collectors and the Politics of Anti-Courtly Love Poetry [Repost]
- 2011-07-19Manuscript Verse Collectors and the Politics of Anti-Courtly Love Poetry
- 2010-10-07Manuscript Verse Collectors and the Politics of Anti-Courtly Love Poetry
- 2018-01-11[PDF] International Criminal Justice and the Politics of Compliance
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Broken English: Dialects and the Politics of Language in Renaissance Writings
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Why Mars: NASA and the Politics of Space Exploration (New Series in NASA History) - Removed
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Hegel: Religion, Economics, and the Politics of Spirit, 1770-1807 (Ideas in Context)
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Broken Harmony: Shakespeare and the Politics of Music
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Security Theology, Surveillance and the Politics of Fear
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Feeling Backward: Loss and the Politics of Queer History
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Israel's Holocaust and the Politics of Nationhood (Cambridge Middle East Studies)
- 2017-11-21[PDF] Purifying Empire: Obscenity and the Politics of Moral Regulation in Britain, India and Australia
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Saving Face: Disfigurement and the Politics of Appearance
- 2017-11-10[PDF] Exhausting Dance: Performance and the Politics of Movement
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Modernist Fiction, Cosmopolitanism and the Politics of Community
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Biological Economies: Experimentation and the politics of agri-food frontiers (Routledge Studies in Food, Society and the Environment)
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Fashioning Africa: Power and the Politics of Dress (African Expressive Cultures)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.