Posted on 2018-01-13, by luongquocchinh.
Author: David Fisher | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 320 | ISBN: 0199599246 | ISBN13: 9780199599240 |
Description: With the ending of the strategic certainties of the Cold War, the need for moral clarity over when, where and how to start, conduct and conclude war has never been greater. There has been a recent revival of interest in the just war tradition. But can a medieval theory help us answer twenty-first century security concerns? David Fisher explores how just war thinking can and should be developed to provide such guidance. His in-depth study examines philosophical challenges to just war thinking, including those posed by moral scepticism and relativism. It explores the nature and grounds of moral reasoning the relation between public and private morality and how just war teaching needs to be refashioned to provide practical guidance not just to politicians and generals but to ordinary service people. The complexity and difficulty of moral decision-making requires a new ethical approach - here characterised as virtuous consequentialism - that recognises the importance of both the internal quality and external effects of agency and of the moral principles and virtues needed to enact them. Having reinforced the key tenets of just war thinking, Fisher uses these to address contemporary security issues, including the changing nature of war, military pre-emption and torture, the morality of the Iraq war, and humanitarian intervention. He concludes that the just war tradition provides not only a robust but an indispensable guide to resolve the security challenges of the twenty-first century.
Morality and War: Can War be Just in the Twenty-first Century?.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35278
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Morality and War: Can War be Just in the Twenty-first Century?
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Psychoanalysis and Philosophy of Mind: Unconscious Mentality in the Twenty-first Century
- 2017-12-22[PDF] The Next Cold War?: American Alternatives for the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-12-14[PDF] A Global History of War: From Assyria to the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-01-14[PDF] The Next Cold War?: American Alternatives for the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Decline of the U.S. Hegemony?: A Challenge of ALBA and a New Latin American Integration of the Twenty-First Century (Security in the Americas in the Twenty-First Century)
- 2013-07-15The Next Cold War?: American Alternatives for the Twenty-First Century (repost)
- 2011-10-11The Next Cold War?: American Alternatives for the Twenty-First Century
- 2011-07-20The Next Cold War?: American Alternatives for the Twenty-First Century
- 2018-04-10The Return of the Moguls How Jeff Bezos and John Henry Are Remaking Newspapers for the Twenty-First Century
- 2018-01-23[PDF] A Brief History of Archaeology: Classical Times to the Twenty-First Century 2nd Edition
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Suspicions of Markets: Critical Attacks from Aristotle to the Twenty-First Century - Removed
- 2017-12-10[PDF] One Out of Three: Immigrant New York in the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-11-11[PDF] A History of Modern Russia: From Tsarism to the Twenty-First Century, Third Edition
- 2017-01-13[PDF] One Out of Three: Immigrant New York in the Twenty-First Century
- 2014-02-09Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-first Century
- 2013-07-20Wealth and Power: China's Long March to the Twenty-first Century
- 2018-01-17[PDF] The Risk Society at War: Terror, Technology and Strategy in the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Heart of War: On Power, Conflict and Obligation in the Twenty-first Century
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.