Posted on 2018-01-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Almut Suerbaum | Publisher: Routledge | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 302 | ISBN: 1472425065 | ISBN13: 9781472425065 |
Description: If terms are associated with particular historical periods, then polemic is firmly rooted within early modern print culture, the apparently inevitable result of religious controversy and the rise of print media. Taking a broad European approach, this collection brings together specialists on medieval as well as early modern culture in order to challenge stubborn assumptions that medieval culture was homogenous and characterized by consensus and that literary discourse is by nature eirenic. Instead, the volume shows more clearly the continuities and discontinuities, especially how medieval discourse on the sins of the tongue continued into early modern discussion how popular and influential medieval genres such as sermons and hagiography dealt with potentially heterodox positions and the role of literary, especially fictional, debate in developing modes of articulating discord, as well as demonstrating polemic in action in political and ecclesiastical debate. Within this historical context, the position of early modern debates as part of a more general culture of articulating discord becomes more clearly visible. The structure of the volume moves from an internal textual focus, where the nature of polemic can be debated, through a middle section where these concerns are also played out in social practice, to a more historical group investigating applied polemic. In this way a more nuanced view is provided of the meaning, role, and effect of polemic both broadly across time and space, and more narrowly within specific circumstances.
Polemic: Language as Violence in Medieval and Early Modern Discourse.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35640
- 2017-12-24[PDF] A Bishopric Between Three Kingdoms (Medieval and Early Modern Iberian World)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Beyond Florence: The Contours of Medieval and Early Modern Italy
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Till God Inherits the Earth (Medieval and Early Modern Iberian World)
- 2019-01-25Language as the Site of Revolt in Medieval and Early Modern England Speaking as a Woman - Removed
- 2019-01-08Language as the Site of Revolt in Medieval and Early Modern England Speaking as a Woman
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Alcohol, Sex, and Gender in Late Medieval and Early Modern Europe (Early Modern History)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Queenship, Gender, and Reputation in the Medieval and Early Modern West, 1060-1600 (Queenship and Power) - Removed
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Contesting Orthodoxy in Medieval and Early Modern Europe: Heresy, Magic and Witchcraft (Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic) - Removed
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Pestilence in Medieval and Early Modern English Literature (Studies in Medieval History and Culture)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] A Pernicious Sort of Woman': Quasi-Religious Women and Canon Lawyers in the Later Middle Ages (Studies in Medieval and Early Modern Canon Law)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Church and Belief in the Middle Ages: Popes, Saints, and Crusaders (Crossing Boundaries: Turku Medieval and Early Modern Studies)
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Knights on the Frontier (Medieval and Early Modern Iberian World)
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Same-sex Sexuality in Later Medieval English Culture (Crossing Boundaries: Turku Medieval and Early Modern Studies)
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Handbook to Life in Medieval and Early Modern Japan
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Doctors, Folk Medicine And The Inquisition: The Repression Of Magical Healing In Portugal During The Enlightenment (Medieval and Early Modern Iberian World)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Heresy In Transition: Transforming Ideas Of Heresy In Medieval And Early Modern Europe (Catholic Christendom, 1300-1700)
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Julius Caesar Scaliger, Renaissance Reformer of Aristotelianism: A Study of His Exotericae Exercitationes (History of Science and Medicine Library / Medieval and Early Modern Science)
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Heads Will Roll: Decapitation in the Medieval and Early Modern Imagination (Medieval and Renaissance Authors)
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Rhetorics of Bodily Disease and Health in Medieval and Early Modern England (Literary and Scientific Cultures of Early Modernity)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.