Posted on 2017-11-12, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Heather Talley | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 0814784100 | ISBN13: 9780814784105 |
Description: Imagine yourself without a faceâ€”the task seems impossible. The face is a core feature of our physical identity. Our face is how others identify us and how we think of our â€˜selfâ€™. Yet, human faces are also functionally essential as mechanisms for communication and as a means of eating, breathing, and seeing. For these reasons, facial disfigurement can endanger our fundamental notions of self and identity or even be life threatening, at worse. Precisely because it is so difficult to conceal our faces, the disfigured face compromises appearance, status, and, perhaps, our very way of being in the world. In Saving Face, sociologist Heather Laine Talley examines the cultural meaning and social significance of interventions aimed at repairing faces defined as disfigured. Using ethnography, participant-observation, content analysis, interviews, and autoethnography, Talley explores four sites in which a range of faces are â€œrepaired:â€ face transplantation, facial feminization surgery, the reality show Extreme Makeover, and the international charitable organization Operation Smile,. Throughout, she considers how efforts focused on repair sometimes intensify the stigma associated with disfigurement. Drawing upon experiences volunteering at a camp for children with severe burns, Talley also considers alternative interventions and everyday practices that both challenge stigma and help those seen as disfigured negotiate outsider status. Talley delves into the promise and limits of facial surgery, continually examining how we might understand appearance as a facet of privilege and a dimension of inequality. Ultimately, she argues that facial work is not simply a conglomeration of reconstructive techniques aimed at the human face, but rather, that appearance interventions are increasingly treated as lifesaving work. Especially at a time when aesthetic technologies carrying greater risk are emerging and when discrimination based on appearance is rampant, this important book challenges us to think critically about how we see the human face.
Saving Face: Disfigurement and the Politics of Appearance.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33394
- 2020-04-29Saving Face: Disfigurement and the Politics of Appearance
- 2018-01-11[PDF] International Criminal Justice and the Politics of Compliance
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Broken English: Dialects and the Politics of Language in Renaissance Writings
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Why Mars: NASA and the Politics of Space Exploration (New Series in NASA History) - Removed
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Hegel: Religion, Economics, and the Politics of Spirit, 1770-1807 (Ideas in Context)
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Broken Harmony: Shakespeare and the Politics of Music
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Security Theology, Surveillance and the Politics of Fear
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Feeling Backward: Loss and the Politics of Queer History
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Israel's Holocaust and the Politics of Nationhood (Cambridge Middle East Studies)
- 2017-11-21[PDF] Purifying Empire: Obscenity and the Politics of Moral Regulation in Britain, India and Australia
- 2017-11-10[PDF] Exhausting Dance: Performance and the Politics of Movement
- 2017-11-09[PDF] Modernist Fiction, Cosmopolitanism and the Politics of Community
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Biological Economies: Experimentation and the politics of agri-food frontiers (Routledge Studies in Food, Society and the Environment)
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Fashioning Africa: Power and the Politics of Dress (African Expressive Cultures)
- 2017-10-09[PDF] Manuscript Verse Collectors and the Politics of Anti-Courtly Love Poetry
- 2017-10-04[PDF] Affective Mapping: Melancholia and the Politics of Modernism
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Poor States, Power and the Politics of IMF Reform: Drivers of Change in the Post Washington Consensus (International Political Economy Series) - Removed
- 2017-04-10[PDF] American Foreign Policy and The Politics of Fear: Threat Inflation since 9/11 (Routledge Global Security Studies)
- 2017-02-16[PDF] American Foreign Policy and The Politics of Fear: Threat Inflation since 9/11 (Routledge Global Security Studies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.