Posted on 2017-11-18, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Rob Sullivan | Category: Economy | Language: English | Page: 190 | ISBN: 1409448401 | ISBN13: 9781409448402 |
Description: In the latter part of the C20th, a series of seminal books were written which examined Los Angeles by the likes of Reyner Banham, Mike Davis, Edward Soja, Allen Scott, Michael Dear, Frederick Jameson, Umberto Eco, Bernard-Henri Levy, and Jean Baudrillard which have been hugely influential in thinking about cities more broadly. The debates which were generated by these works have tended to be very heated and either defensive or offensive in approach. A sufficient amount of time has since passed that a more measured approach to evaluating this work can now be taken. The first section of this book, 'Contra This and Contra That', provides such a critique of the various theories applied to Los Angeles during the last century, balancing the positive with the negative. The second part of the book is an investigation of L.A. as it exists on the ground today. While political, the theoretical stance taken in this investigation is not mounted as a platform from which to advocate a particular ideology. Instead, it encompasses cultural as well as economic issues to put forth a view of L.A. which is coherent and cogent while at the same time considering its multi-layed, complex and ever-changing qualities. It concludes by arguing that sectored off and 'totalizing' visions of the city will not do as instruments of urban analysis and that only a theory as mobile as its target will do: one that replicates the polymer nature of this place. It proposes that, extending that theory to the world beyond this particular city, only a theory that models itself on the mobile and polymer nature of the world, while still retaining a sense of the actual and the real, will do as an instrument with which to comprehend the world. In doing so, this book is not only a model by which to think through Los Angeles, but as a model by which to think through other world cities.
Street Level: Los Angeles in the Twenty-First Century.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33558
- 2020-05-07Street Level: Los Angeles in the Twenty-First Century - Removed
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Globalization, Wealth, and Power in the Twenty-first Century - Removed
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Big Brother: Reality TV in the Twenty-First Century - Removed
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Urban Tantra: Sacred Sex for the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-12-24[PDF] On Love: A Philosophy for the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Anthropology and Development: Challenges for the Twenty-First Century (Anthropology, Culture & Society)
- 2017-10-22[PDF] Pathways for Ecclesial Dialogue in the Twenty-First Century: Revisiting Ecumenical Method (Pathways for Ecumenical and Interreligious Dialogue) - Removed
- 2017-10-10[PDF] Staging China: New Theatres in the Twenty-First Century (Chinese Literature and Culture in the World) - Removed
- 2017-04-06[PDF] Higher Education Outcomes Assessment for the Twenty-First Century
- 2020-11-25Street Commerce: Creating Vibrant Urban Sidewalks (The City in the Twenty First Century) (True EPUB)
- 2020-11-23Street Commerce: Creating Vibrant Urban Sidewalks (The City in the Twenty First Century)
- 2019-07-25* (Admirable) - Why You Should Read This Is an Uprising: How Nonviolent Revolt Is Shaping the Twenty-First Century by Mark Engler Online or Download [*MOBI *PDF *EPUB]
- 2019-07-25* (Admirable) - Why You Should Read Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century by Jessica Bruder Online or Download [*MOBI *PDF *EPUB]
- 2018-02-26Higher Education Exchange between America and the Middle East in the Twenty-First Century - Removed
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Collaborative Art in the Twenty-First Century (Routledge Advances in Art and Visual Studies)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] International Negotiation in the Twenty-First Century (UT Austin Studies in Foreign and Transnational Law)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Imperialism in the Twenty-First Century: Globalization, Super-Exploitation, and Capitalism's Final Crisis
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Transnationalism and German-Language Literature in the Twenty-First Century (Palgrave Studies in Modern European Literature) [German] - Removed
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Problem of Race in the Twenty-first Century (The Nathan I. Huggins Lectures)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.