Posted on 2017-12-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Ernest Freeberg | Category: Audio Books | Language: English | Page: 0 | ISBN: 999d7655c94a4483adcf141ab819c88a |
Description: The late 19th century was a period of explosive technological creativity, but arguably the most important invention of all was Thomas Edisonâ€™s incandescent light bulb. Unveiled in his Menlo Park, New Jersey, laboratory in 1879, the light bulb overwhelmed the American public with the sense of the birth of a new age. More than any other invention, the electric light marked the arrival of modernity. The light bulb became a catalyst for the nationâ€™s transformation from a rural to an urban-dominated culture. City streetlights defined zones between rich and poor, and the electrical grid sharpened the line between town and country. "Bright lights" meant "big city". Like moths to a flame, millions of Americans migrated to urban centers in these decades, leaving behind the shadow of candle and kerosene lamp in favor of the exciting brilliance of the urban streetscape. The Age of Edison places the story of Edisonâ€™s invention in the context of a technological revolution that transformed America and Europe in these decades. Edison and his fellow inventors emerged from a culture shaped by broad public education, a lively popular press that took an interest in science and technology, and an American patent system that encouraged innovation and democratized the benefits of invention. And in the end, as Freeberg shows, Edison's greatest invention was not any single technology, but rather his reinvention of the process itself. At Menlo Park he gathered the combination of capital, scientific training, and engineering skill that would evolve into the modern research and development laboratory. His revolutionary electrical grid not only broke the stronghold of gas companies, but also ushered in an era when strong, clear light could become accessible to everyone. In The Age of Edison, Freeberg weaves a narrative that reaches from Coney Island and Broadway to the tiniest towns of rural America, tracing the progress of electric light through the reactions of everyone who saw it. It is a quintessentially American story of ingenuity, ambition, and possibility, in which the greater forces of progress and change are made visible.
The Age of Edison: Electric Light and the Invention of Modern America (Audiobook).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34712
- 2017-11-01[PDF] The Age of Edison: Electric Light and the Invention of Modern America
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The Age of Edison: Electric Light and the Invention of Modern America
- 2021-12-12An American Covenant A Story of Women, Mysticism, and the Making of Modern America [Audiobook]
- 2021-03-2518 Tiny Deaths: The Untold Story of Frances Glessner Lee and the Invention of Modern Forensics [Audiobook]
- 2020-09-13New World Coming: The 1920s and the Making of Modern America [Audiobook]
- 2020-09-13Iron Empires: Robber Barons, Railroads, and the Making of Modern America [Audiobook]
- 2018-10-30Railroaded The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America [Audiobook]
- 2018-07-18New World Coming The 1920s and the Making of Modern America [Audiobook]
- 2017-12-31[PDF] The Search for Modern China (Audiobook)
- 2017-10-19[PDF] Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow: Sword of the Canon)
- 2017-10-12[PDF] Barefoot Running: How to Run Light and Free by Getting in Touch with the Earth
- 2017-01-19[PDF] Barefoot Running: How to Run Light and Free by Getting in Touch with the Earth
- 2016-12-22[PDF] Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow: Sword of the Canon)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Invention of Taste: A Cultural Account of Desire, Delight and Disgust in Fashion, Food and Art (Sensory Studies Series)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Late Modernism: Art, Culture, and Politics in Cold War America (The Arts and Intellectual Life in Modern America)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Invention of Peace and the Reinvention of War: Reflections on War and International Order
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Evolution of Modern Land Warfare: Theory and Practice (Routledge Library Editions: Military and Naval History) (Volume 7)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Teach to Work: How a Mentor, a Mentee, and a Project Can Close the Skills Gap in America [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Sources of Modern Architecture and Design
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.