Posted on 2018-01-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Cathal Nolan | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 728 | ISBN: 0195383788 | ISBN13: 9780195383782 |
Description: History has tended to measure war's winners and losers in terms of its major engagements, battles in which the result was so clear-cut that they could be considered "decisive." Cannae, Konigsberg, Austerlitz, Midway, Agincourt-all resonate in the literature of war and in our imaginations as tide-turning. But these legendary battles may or may not have determined the final outcome of the wars in which they were fought. Nor has the "genius" of the so-called Great Captains - from Alexander the Great to Frederick the Great and Napoleon - play a major role. Wars are decided in other ways. Cathal J. Nolan's The Allure of Battle systematically and engrossingly examines the great battles, tracing what he calls "short-war thinking," the hope that victory might be swift and wars brief. As he proves persuasively, however, such has almost never been the case. Even the major engagements have mainly contributed to victory or defeat by accelerating the erosion of the other side's defences. Massive conflicts, the so-called "people's wars," beginning with Napoleon and continuing until 1945, have consisted of and been determined by prolonged stalemate and attrition, industrial wars in which the determining factor has been not military but materiel. Nolan's masterful book places battles squarely and mercilessly within the context of the wider conflict in which they took place. In the process it help corrects a distorted view of battle's role in war, replacing popular images of the "battles of annihilation" with somber appreciation of the commitments and human sacrifices made throughout centuries of war particularly among the Great Powers. Accessible, provocative, exhaustive, and illuminating, The Allure of Battle will spark fresh debate about the history and conduct of warfare.
The Allure of Battle: A History of How Wars Have Been Won and Lost.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35622
- 2020-02-17The Allure of Battle: A History of How Wars Have Been Won and Lost
- 2018-01-06[PDF] The Essential Stay-at-Home Mom Manual: How to Have a Wondrous Life Amidst Kids and Chaos
- 2017-11-28[PDF] The Right Path: From Ike to Reagan, How Republicans Once Mastered Politics and Can Again
- 2017-10-23[PDF] The Value of Debt in Retirement: Why Everything You Have Been Told Is Wrong
- 2017-10-14[PDF] The Social Media Handbook for Financial Advisors: How to Use LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to Build and Grow Your Business
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Bloodiest Day: Battle of Antietam (Graphic History)
- 2017-12-24[PDF] The Allure of Nezahualcoyotl: Pre-Hispanic History, Religion, and NahuaPoetics
- 2012-02-17[request]The Pursuit of Italy: A History of a Land, its Regions and their Peoples
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Evolution of Forensic Psychiatry: History, Current Developments, Future Directions
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Two Faces of Inca History: Dualism in the Narratives and Cosmology of Ancient Cuzco (Early Americas: History and Culture)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Beaver Hills Country: A History of Land and Life (Athabasca University Press)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Medieval Church: A Brief History
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Virgin of Chartres: Making History through Liturgy and the Arts
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Mass Image: A Social History of Photomechanical Reproduction in Victorian London - Removed
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Development of Catalysis: A History of Key Processes and Personas in Catalytic Science and Technology
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of Empire and War
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Personal Weblog: A Linguistic History (Hallesche Sprach- und Textforschung. Language and Text Studies. Recherches linguistiques et textuelles)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The American Sea: A Natural History of the Gulf of Mexico (Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies Series, Sponsored by the Har)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.