Posted on 2017-11-06, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Robert J. Hommon | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 336 | ISBN: 0199916128 | ISBN13: 9780199916122 |
Description: Historians and archaeologists define primary states "cradles of civilization" from which all modern nation states ultimately derive as large-scale, territorially-based, autonomous societies in which a centralized, bureaucratic government employs legitimate power to exercise sovereignty. The well-recognized list of regions that witnessed the development of primary states is short: Egypt, Mesopotamia, the Indus Valley, China, Mesoamerica, and Andean South America. Drawing on archaeological and ethnohistorical sources, Robert J. Hommon demonstrates that Polynesia, with primary states in both Hawai'i and Tonga, should be added to this list. The Ancient Hawaiian State is a study of the ancient Hawaiians' transformation of their Polynesian chiefdoms into primary state societies, un-influenced by pre-existing states. The emergence of primary states is one of the most revolutionary transformations in human history, and Hawai'i's metamorphosis was so profound that in some ways the contact-era Hawaiian states bear a closer resemblance to our world than to that of their closely-related Eastern Polynesian contemporaries, 4,000 kilometers to the south. In contrast to the other six regions, in which states emerged in the distant, proto- or pre-literate past, the transformation of Hawaiian states is documented in an extensive body of oral traditions preserved in written form, a rich literature of early post-contact eyewitness accounts by participants and Western visitors, as well as an extensive archaeological record. Part One of this book describes three competing Hawaiian states, based on the islands of Hawai'i, Maui, and O'ahu, that existed at the time of first contact with the non-Polynesian world (1778-79). Part Two presents a detailed definition of state society and how contact-era Hawai'i satisfies this definition. Part Three provides political and cultural context by comparing the Hawaiian states with the Tongan state and five Polynesian chiefdom societies in the Solomon, Marquesan, and Society Archipelagoes. Part Four provides a model of the Hawaiian state emergence across 800 years of history. This innovative study will advance the analysis of Polynesian political development and shed light on the nature and dynamics of primary state formation worldwide.
The Ancient Hawaiian State: Origins of a Political Society.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33176
- 2017-01-11[PDF] The Ancient Hawaiian State: Origins of a Political Society
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Closed Commercial State: Perpetual Peace and Commercial Society from Rousseau to Fichte
- 2011-10-20The treasures of Nomadic Tribes in South Russia
- 2017-11-26[PDF] The Art of Medicine in Early China: The Ancient and Medieval Origins of a Modern Archive
- 2017-10-03[PDF] The Ancient Origins of Consciousness: How the Brain Created Experience (MIT Press)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] The Ancient Origins of Consciousness: How the Brain Created Experience (MIT Press)
- 2012-06-04The Ancient Alien Question
- 2009-07-02[request]The Ancient Egyptian State. The Origins of Egyptian Culture (c. 8000â€“2000 BC)
- 2021-10-03Ho'oponopono The Ancient Hawaiian Wisdom Teaching
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Ancient Novel and Early Christian and Jewish Narrative: Fictional Intersections (Ancient Narrative: Supplementum)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Portuguese Revolution: State and Class in the Transition to Democracy
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Neo-liberal State
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Ancient One (The Adventures of Kate #2)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Arts and State Governments: At Arm's Length or Arm in Arm?
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts (Writings from the Ancient World)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Ancient Nasca World: New Insights from Science and Archaeology - Removed
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Ancient Maya Marketplace: The Archaeology of Transient Space
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Ancient Castle: Lumen Book I
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Ancient Starship (The Gateway 4)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.