Posted on 2017-10-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: John E. Lesch | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: Chemistry | Language: English | Page: 376 | ISBN: 019518775X | ISBN13: 9780195187755 |
Description: In the decade from 1935-1945, while the Second World War raged in Europe, a new class of medicines capable of controlling bacterial infections launched a therapeutic revolution that continues today. The new medicines were not penicillin and antibiotics, but sulfonamides, or sulfa drugs. The sulfa drugs preceded penicillin by almost a decade, and during World War II they carried the main therapeutic burden in both military and civilian medicine. Their success stimulated a rapid expansion of research and production in the international pharmaceutical industry, raised expectations of medicine, and accelerated the appearance of new and powerful medicines based on research.The latter development created new regulatory dilemmas and unanticipated therapeutic problems. The sulfa drugs also proved extraordinarily fruitful as starting points for new drugs or classes of drugs, both for bacterial infections and for a number of important non-infectious diseases. This book examines this breakthrough in medicine, pharmacy, and science in three parts. Part I shows that an industrial research setting was crucial to the success of the revolution in therapeutics that emerged from medicinal chemistry. Part II shows how national differences shaped the reception of the sulfa drugs in Germany, France, Britain, and the United States. The author uses press coverage of the day to explore popular perceptions of the dramatic changes taking place in medicine. Part III documents the impact of the sulfa drugs on the American effort in World War II. It also shows how researchers came to an understanding of how the sulfa drugs worked, adding a new theoretical dimension to the science of pharmacology and at the same time providing a basis for the discovery of new medicinal drugs in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. A concluding chapter summarizes the transforming impact of the sulfa drugs on twentieth-century medicine, tracing the therapeutic revolution from the initial breakthrough in the 1930s to the current search for effective treatments for AIDS and the new horizons opened up by the human genome project and stem cell research.
The First Miracle Drugs: How the Sulfa Drugs Transformed Medicine.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32747
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The First Miracle Drugs: How the Sulfa Drugs Transformed Medicine
- 2019-06-27The First Miracle Drugs How the Sulfa Drugs Transformed Medicine
- 2007-07-08The First Miracle Drugs: How the Sulfa Drugs Transformed Medicine
- 2007-06-07First Miracle Drugs: How Sulfa Drugs Transformed Medicine
- 2017-12-23[PDF] The Psychopharmacology of Herbal Medicine: Plant Drugs That Alter Mind, Brain, and Behavior - Removed
- 2017-12-11[PDF] The Creative Destruction of Medicine: How the Digital Revolution Will Create Better Health Care
- 2017-01-13[PDF] The Psychopharmacology of Herbal Medicine: Plant Drugs That Alter Mind, Brain, and Behavior - Removed
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Atlas of Emergency Medicine, Third Edition
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Washington Manual Pulmonary Medicine Subspecialty Consult - Removed
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Everything First Aid Book: How to Handle Falls and Breaks, Choking, Cuts and Scrapes, Insect Bites and Rashes, Burns, Poisoning, and When to Call 911 (Everything Series)
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine Third Edition
- 2018-01-17[PDF] The Travel and Tropical Medicine Manual, 5e
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The Encyclopaedia of Sports Medicine: An IOC Medical Commission Publication, Tendinopathy in Athletes (Volume XII)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine (6 Volume Set)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] The Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review: Certification and Recertification: Expert Consult - Online and Print, 4e (Miller, Johns Hopkins lnternal Medicine Board Review)
- 2017-12-29[PDF] The Textbook of Pharmaceutical Medicine
- 2017-12-27[PDF] The Encyclopaedia of Sports Medicine: An IOC Medical Commission Publication, Sports Nutrition (Volume XIX)
- 2017-12-24[PDF] The Politics of Personalised Medicine: Pharmacogenetics in the Clinic (Cambridge Studies in Society and the Life Sciences)
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Lean Prescription: Powerful Medicine for Our Ailing Healthcare System
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.