Posted on 2018-01-20, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Robert Bork | Category: Architecture | Language: English | Page: 488 | ISBN: 0754660621 | ISBN13: 9780754660620 |
Description: The flowering of Gothic architecture depended to a striking extent on the use of drawing as a tool of design. By drawing precise "blueprints" with simple tools such as the compass and straightedge, Gothic draftsmen were able to develop a linearized architecture of unprecedented complexity and sophistication. Examination of their surviving drawings can provide valuable and remarkably intimate information about the Gothic design process. Gothic drawings include compass pricks, uninked construction lines, and other telltale traces of the draftsman's geometrically based working method. The proportions of the drawings, moreover, are those actually intended by the designer, uncompromised by errors introduced in the construction process. All of these features make these drawings ideal subjects for the study of Gothic design practice, but their geometry has to date received little systematic attention. This book offers a new perspective on Gothic architectural creativity. It shows, in a series of rigorous geometrical case studies, how Gothic design evolved over time, in two senses: in the hours of the draftsman's labor, and across the centuries of the late Middle Ages. In each case study, a series of computer graphics show in unprecedented detail how a medieval designer could have developed his architectural concept step by step, using only basic geometrical operations. Taken together, these analyses demonstrate both remarkable methodological continuity across the Gothic era, and the progressive development of new and sophisticated permutations on venerable design themes. This rich tradition ultimately gave way in the Renaissance not because of any inherent problem with Gothic architecture, but because the visual language of Classicism appealed more directly to the pretensions of Humanist princes than the more abstract geometrical order of Gothic design, as the book's final chapter demonstrates.
The Geometry of Creation: Architectural Drawing and the Dynamics of Gothic Design.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35514
- 2020-02-25The Geometry of Creation: Architectural Drawing and the Dynamics of Gothic Design
- 2017-10-12[PDF] Architectural drawing and light construction
- 2017-01-06[PDF] Architectural drawing and light construction
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Dynamics of Change in EU Governance (Studies in EU Reform and Enlargement)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Brand Mapping Strategy: Design, Build, and Accelerate Your Brand
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Dynamics of Judicial Independence: A Comparative Study of Courts in Malaysia and Pakistan - Removed
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Algebraic Geometry (Lecture Notes in Pure and Applied Mathematics)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Dynamics of Cities: Ecological Determinism, Dualism and Chaos
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Dynamics of Corporate Social Responsibility: A Critical Approach to Theory and Practice (CSR, Sustainability, Ethics & Governance) - Removed
- 2018-01-22[PDF] The Dynamics of Israeli-Palestinian Relations: Theory, History, and Cases - Removed
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Dynamics of Persuasion: Communication and Attitudes in the Twenty-First Century (Routledge Communication Series)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The Premixing Method: Principle, Design and Construction
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Best of Cover Design: Books, Magazines, Catalogs, and More
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks: Proceedings of the 24th Symposium of the International Association for Vehicle System Dynamics (IAVSD 2015), Graz, Austria, 17-21 August 2015
- 2018-01-11[PDF] The Dynamics of Emerging Stock Markets: Empirical Assessments and Implications (Contributions to Management Science) - Removed
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Offshoring Challenge: Strategic Design and Innovation for Tomorrow's Organization - Removed
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Offshoring Challenge: Strategic Design and Innovation for Tomorrow's Organization
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Diagram Geometry: Related to Classical Groups and Buildings (Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete. 3. Folge / A Series of Modern Surveys in Mathematics) - Removed
- 2017-12-08[PDF] The Dynamics of Political Communication: Media and Politics in a Digital Age
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.