Posted on 2017-11-08, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Lou Ureneck | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 512 | ISBN: 0062259881 | ISBN13: 9780062259882 |
Description: The harrowing story of a Methodist Minister and a principled American naval officer who helped rescue more than 250,000 refugees during the genocide of Armenian and Greek Christiansâ€”a tale of bravery, morality, and politics, published to coincide with the genocideâ€™s centennial. The year was 1922: World War I had just come to a close, the Ottoman Empire was in decline, and Asa Jennings, a YMCA worker from upstate New York, had just arrived in the quiet coastal city of Smyrna to teach sports to boys. Several hundred miles to the east in Turkeyâ€™s interior, tensions between Greeks and Turks had boiled over into deadly violence. Mustapha Kemal, now known as Ataturk, and his Muslim army soon advanced into Smyrna, a Christian city, where a half a million terrified Greek and Armenian refugees had fled in a desperate attempt to escape his troops. Turkish soldiers proceeded to burn the city and rape and kill countless Christian refugees. Unwilling to leave with the other American civilians and determined to get Armenians and Greeks out of the doomed city, Jennings worked tirelessly to feed and transport the thousands of people gathered at the cityâ€™s Quay. With the help of the brilliant naval officer and Kentucky gentleman Halsey Powell, and a handful of others, Jennings commandeered a fleet of unoccupied Greek ships and was able to evacuate a quarter million innocent peopleâ€”an amazing humanitarian act that has been lost to history, until now. Before the horrible events in Turkey were complete, Jennings had helped rescue a million people. By turns harrowing and inspiring, The Great Fire uses eyewitness accounts, documents, and survivor narratives to bring this episodeâ€”extraordinary for its brutality as well as its heroismâ€”to life.
The Great Fire: One American's Mission to Rescue Victims of the 20th Century's First Genocide.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33246
- 2017-11-08[PDF] The Great Fire: One American's Mission to Rescue Victims of the 20th Century's First Genocide
- 2016-12-28[PDF] The Great Fire: One American's Mission to Rescue Victims of the 20th Century's First Genocide
- 2020-07-16The Great Fire: One American's Mission to Rescue Victims of the 20th Century's First Genocide
- 2021-02-23Smyrna, September 1922: The American Mission to Rescue Victims of the 20th Century's First Genocide [Audiobook]
- 2017-12-15[PDF] The 20th Century: 1941-1970 (Great Events from History)
- 2017-12-06[PDF] The 20th Century, 1901-2000 (Great Lives from History) Set of Ten Hardcover Series
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The 20th Century: Post - 1945 (Who & When)
- 2017-12-08[PDF] The Tunguska Fireball: Solving One of the Great Mysteries of the 20th Century
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting (now with Bebe Day by Day: 100 Keys to French Parenting)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting (now with Bebe Day by Day: 100 Keys to French Parenting)
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The Twentieth-Century American Fiction Handbook (Wiley Blackwell Literature Handbooks)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Rivals!: The Ten Greatest American Sports Rivalries of the 20th Century
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The World Turned Inside Out: American Thought and Culture at the End of the 20th Century
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Changing Course: American Curriculum Reform in the 20th Century (Reflective History, 8)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] American Big Business in Britain and Germany: A Comparative History of Two 'Special Relationships' in the 20th Century
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Great mysteries of the 20th century (Eventful 20th Century)
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Trial by Fire: Forging American Close Air Support Doctrine, World War I Through September 1944
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Great Events from History: The 20th Century (Great Events from History) 6 Volume Set
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.