[PDF] The Hop Grower's Handbook: The Essential Guide for Sustainable, Small-Scale Production for Home and Market
Posted on 2017-04-10, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Laura Ten Eyck | Publisher: Chelsea Green Publishing | Category: Misc | Language: English | Page: 288 | ISBN: 1603585559 | ISBN13: 9781603585552 |
Description: With information on siting, planting, tending, harvesting, processing, and brewing It's hard to think about beer these days without thinking about hops. The runaway craft beer market's convergence with the ever-expanding local foods movement is helping to spur a local-hops renaissance. The demand from craft brewers for local ingredients to make beersuch as hops and barleyis robust and growing. That's good news for farmers looking to diversify, but the catch is that hops have not been grown commercially in the eastern United States for nearly a century. Today, farmers from Maine to North Carolina are working hard to respond to the craft brewers' desperate call for locally grown hops. But questions arise: How best to create hop yardsvirtual forests of 18-foot poles that can be expensive to build? How to select hop varieties, and plant and tend the bines, which often take up to three years to reach full production? How to best pick, process, and price them for market? And, how best to manage the fungal diseases and insects that wiped out the eastern hop industry 100 years ago, and which are thriving in the hotter and more humid states thanks to climate change? Answers to these questions can be found in The Hop Grower's Handbookthe only book on the market about raising hops sustainably, on a small scale, for the commercial craft beer market in the Northeast. Written by hop farmers and craft brewery owners Laura Ten Eyck and Dietrich Gehring, The Hop Grower's Handbook is a beautifully photographed and illustrated book that weaves the story of their Helderberg Hop Farm with the colorful history of New York and New England hop farming, relays horticultural information about the unusual hop plant and the mysterious resins it produces that give beer a distinctively bitter flavor, and includes an overview of the numerous native, heirloom, and modern varieties of hops and their purposes. The authors also provide an easy-to-understand explanation of the beer-brewing processcritical for hop growers to understand in order be able to provide the high-quality product brewers want to buyalong with recipes from a few of their favorite home and micro-brewers. The book also provides readers with detailed information on: Selecting, preparing, and designing a hop yard site, including irrigation Tending to the hops, with details on best practices to manage weeds, insects, and diseases and, Harvesting, drying, analyzing, processing, and pricing hops for market. The overwhelming majority of books and resources devoted to hop production currently available are geared toward the Pacific Northwest's large-scale commercial growers, who use synthetic pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, and fertilizers and deal with regionally specific climate, soils, weeds, and insect populations. Ten Eyck and Gehring, however, focus on farming hops sustainably. While they relay their experience about growing in a new Northeastern climate subject to the higher temperatures and volatile cycles of drought and deluge brought about by global warming, this book will be an essential resource for home-scale and small-scale commercial hops growers in all regions.
The Hop Grower's Handbook: The Essential Guide for Sustainable, Small-Scale Production for Home and Market.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 31393
- 2011-09-16The Essential Guide to Portraits - 2011 (2nd edition)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Fermentation Essentials: The Essential Guide for Fermentation and Probiotic Foods
- 2017-10-09[PDF] The Essential Guide to Freelance Writing: How to Write, Work, and Thrive on Your Own Terms
- 2020-04-23You and Your Child's Psychotherapy: The Essential Guide for Parents and Caregivers
- 2018-09-20Best Castles - England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales The Essential Guide for Visiting and Enjoying
- 2018-07-29Best Castles - England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales The Essential Guide for Visiting and Enjoying
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Marijuana Grower's Handbook: Your Complete Guide for Medical and Personal Marijuana Cultivation
- 2012-03-19Marijuana Grower's Handbook: Your Complete Guide for Medical and Personal Marijuana Cultivation By Ed Rosenthal, Tommy Chong
- 2008-12-16The International Art Markets: The Essential Guide for Collectors and Investors - Removed
- 2012-03-18Marijuana Grower's Handbook: Your Complete Guide for Medical and Personal Marijuana Cultivation
- 2011-09-13The iPad Handbook 2012: Your Essential Guide to Mastering the iPad
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Essential Guide to Outdoor Photography
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Essential Guide to Modern Sports Writing
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Essential Guide to Doing Your Research Project
- 2018-01-22[PDF] The Essential Guide to Massage Techniques Relaxation and Serenity, 2 DVD-set
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels (Star Wars)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP - Removed
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Essential Guide to Flash CS4 - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.