Posted on 2018-01-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Kao Kalia Yang | Publisher: Coffee House Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 277 | ISBN: 1566892082 | ISBN13: 9781566892087 |
Description: In search of a place to call home, thousands of Hmong families made the journey from the war-torn jungles of Laos to the overcrowded refugee camps of Thailand and onward to America. But lacking a written language of their own, the Hmong experience has been primarily recorded by others. Driven to tell her familyâ€™s story after her grandmotherâ€™s death, The Latehomecomer is Kao Kalia Yangâ€™s tribute to the remarkable woman whose spirit held them all together. It is also an eloquent, firsthand account of a people who have worked hard to make their voices heard. Beginning in the 1970s, as the Hmong were being massacred for their collaboration with the United States during the Vietnam War, Yang recounts the harrowing story of her familyâ€™s captivity, the daring rescue undertaken by her father and uncles, and their narrow escape into Thailand where Yang was born in the Ban Vinai Refugee Camp. When she was six years old, Yangâ€™s family immigrated to America, and she evocatively captures the challenges of adapting to a new place and a new language. Through her words, the dreams, wisdom, and traditions passed down from her grandmother and shared by an entire community have finally found a voice. Together with her sister, Kao Kalia Yang is the founder of a company dedicated to helping immigrants with writing, translating, and business services. A graduate of Carleton College and Columbia University, Yang has recently screened The Place Where We Were Born, a film documenting the experiences of Hmong American refugees. Visit her website at www.kaokaliayang.com.
The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35535
- 2009-08-14The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Onward, Dear Boys: A Family Memoir of the Great War
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Long Way Home (Family Tree #2)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The House in France: A Memoir
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Mistress's Daughter: A Memoir
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Radical Left Party Family in Western Europe, 1989-2015
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The American Bar Association Family Legal Guide: Completely Revised and Updated Edition of You and the Law
- 2018-01-14[PDF] The Destructive Power of Family Wealth: A Guide to Succession Planning, Asset Protection, Taxation and Wealth Management (The Wiley Finance Series)
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Water Is Wide: A Memoir
- 2017-12-31[PDF] The Perfect Passover Cookbook: Family-Tested Recipes for Matzoh Ball Soup, Kugel, Haroset, and More, Plus 25 Desserts
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Seasoned Life: Food, Family, Faith, and the Joy of Eating Well
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Clancys of Queens: A Memoir
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Table Comes First: Family, France, and the Meaning of Food
- 2017-12-18[PDF] The End of Eve: A Memoir
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The House on Dream Street: Memoir of an American Woman in Vietnam
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Distance Between Us: A Memoir
- 2017-12-16[PDF] The Doctor's Forever Family
- 2017-12-14[PDF] The Chronology of Water: A Memoir
- 2017-12-07[PDF] The Artist's Daughter: A Memoir
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.