[PDF] The Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of 'Proper' English, from Shakespeare to South Park
Posted on 2018-01-19, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Jack Lynch | Category: English | Language: English | Page: 336 | ISBN: 0802717004 | ISBN13: 9780802717009 |
Description: In its long history, the English language has had many lawmakersâ€“those who have tried to regulate or otherwise organize the way we speak. The Lexicographer's Dilemma offers the first narrative history of these endeavors and shows clearly that what we now regard as the only "correct" way to speak emerged out of specific historical and social conditions over the course of centuries. As historian Jack Lynch has discovered, every rule has a human history and the characters peopling his narrative are as interesting for their obsession as for their erudition: the sharp-tongued satirist Jonathan Swift, who called for a government-sponsored academy to issue rulings on the language the polymath Samuel Johnson, who put dictionaries on a new footing the eccentric Hebraist Robert Lowth, the first modern to understand the workings of biblical poetry the crackpot linguist John Horne Tooke, whose bizarre theories continue to baffle scholars the chemist and theologian Joseph Priestly, whose political radicalism prompted violent riots the ever-crotchety Noah Webster, who worked to Americanize the English language the long-bearded lexicographer James A. H. Murray, who devoted his life to a survey of the entire language in the Oxford English Dictionary and the playwright George Bernard Shaw, who worked without success to make English spelling rational. Grammatical "rules" or "laws" are not like the law of gravity, or even laws against murder and theftâ€“they're more like rules of etiquette, made by fallible people and subject to change. Witty, smart, full of passion for the world's language, The Lexicograher's Dilemma will entertain and educate in equal measure.
The Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of 'Proper' English, from Shakespeare to South Park.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35483
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of 'Proper' English, from Shakespeare to South Park
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Evolution of Operational Art: From Napoleon to the Present
- 2017-12-06[PDF] The Evolution of College English: Literacy Studies from the Puritans to the Postmoderns (Pitt Comp Literacy Culture)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] The Evolution of Emotional Communication: From Sounds in Nonhuman Mammals to Speech and Music in Man (Series in Affective Science)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] The Evolution of Operational Art: From Napoleon to the Present
- 2017-01-11[PDF] The Evolution of Emotional Communication: From Sounds in Nonhuman Mammals to Speech and Music in Man (Series in Affective Science)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Evolution of Applied Harmonic Analysis: Models of the Real World (Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis) - Removed
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Evolution of Matter: From the Big Bang to the Present Day
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Evolution of the Property Relation: Understanding Paradigms, Debates, and Prospects - Removed
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Evolution of Forensic Psychiatry: History, Current Developments, Future Directions
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Evolution of Conservative Party Social Policy - Removed
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Evolution of the Internet in the Business Sector: Web 1.0 to Web 3.0 (Advances in E-Business Research)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Evolution of Modern Land Warfare: Theory and Practice (Routledge Library Editions: Military and Naval History) (Volume 7)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Evolution of Fear (Claymore Straker)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Evolution of Technology (Cambridge Studies in the History of Science)
- 2018-01-28[PDF] The Evolution of Sex
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Evolution of Culture: The Development of Civilization to the Fall of Rome
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Evolution of Consciousness: Implications for Mental Health and Quality of Life - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.