Posted on 2018-02-02, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Gretchen Scoble, Ann Field | Category: English | Language: English | Page: 108 | ISBN: 0811819310 |
Description: Should you send a rose of crimson or of white to the one you love? What gift of flowers best expresses thanks to a dear friend? From ancient days, long before words complicated what we say to one another, flowers have been our messengers, invested with our most cherished feelings. Illustrated with luscious collages by acclaimed artist Ann Field, this enchanting tribute to the power and symbolism of flowers offers a contemporary introduction to an age-old tradition. The text draws on botanical, historical, and mythological sources worldwide, from ancient Rome to Victorian England, from Asia to the Americas, presenting portraits of almost 50 blossoms favored for all time. In Persia, for instance, the black medulla of the red tulip was said to represent the lover's heart, burnt to a coal by love's passion. To Victorians, lavender signified a broken trust, hollyhocks fertility, and nasturtiums a jest or whimsy. Blending fact, folktale, natural history, and original art, The Meaning of Flowers explores the language and lore of nature's most intimate and beautiful gifts.
The Meaning of Flowers: Myth, Language & Lore.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35892
- 2017-10-14[PDF] The Meaning of Herbs: Myth, Language & Lore
- 2019-07-11The Meaning of Herbs Myth, Language & Lore
- 2012-01-02Language, Vision, and Music: Selected Papers from the 8th International Workshop on the Cognitive Science of Natural Language Processing, Galway, Ireland 1999 - International Workshop On The Cognitive Science Of Natural Language Press
- 2011-09-19Open Source Product Development: The Meaning and Relevance of Openness
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Meaning of Mary Magdalene: Discovering the Woman at the Heart of Christianity
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Meaning of Masonry
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Legacy of Zellig Harris: Language and information into the 21st century. Volume 2: Mathematics and computability of language (Current Issues in Linguistic Theory)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Untold History of Healing: Plant Lore and Medicinal Magic from the Stone Age to Present
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Modern Construction of Myth
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Meaning of Michelle: 16 Writers on the Iconic First Lady and How Her Journey Inspires Our Own
- 2018-01-15[PDF] The Human Semantic Potential: Spatial Language and Constrained Connectionism
- 2018-01-06[PDF] The Meaning of Dwelling Features: Conceptual and Methodological Issues - Volume 24 Sustainable Urban Areas
- 2018-01-04[PDF] The Meaning of Superhero Comic Books
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Meaning of It All: Thoughts of a Citizen-Scientist
- 2017-12-31[PDF] The Meaning of Relativity (Routledge Classics)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Routledge Dictionary of English Language Studies (Routledge Dictionaries)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Visual Basic .NET Programming Language
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Meaning of Human Existence
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Mongol Empire Between Myth and Reality: Studies in Anthropological History (Iran Studies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.