Posted on 2018-01-21, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Luc Laporte, Christopher Scarre | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 248 | ISBN: 1785700146 | ISBN13: 9781785700149 |
Description: Megalithic monuments are among the most striking remains of the Neolithic period of northern and western Europe and are scattered across landscapes from Pomerania to Portugal. Antiquarians and archaeologists early recognized the family resemblance of the different groups of tombs, attributing them to maritime peoples moving along the western seaways. More recent research sees them rather as the product of established early farming communities in their individual regions. Yet the diversity of the tombs, their chronologies and their varied cultural contexts complicates any straightforward understanding of their origins and distribution. Megalithic Architectures provides new insight by focusing on the construction and design of European megalithic tombs â€“ on the tomb as an architectural project. It shows how much is to be learned from detailed attention to the stages and the techniques through which tombs were built, modified and enlarged, and often intentionally dismantled or decommissioned. The large slabs that were employed, often unshaped, may suggest an opportunistic approach by the Neolithic builders, but this was clearly far from the case. Each building project was unique, and detailed study of individual sites exposes the way in which tombs were built as architectural, social and symbolic undertakings. Alongside the manner in which the materials were used, it reveals a store of knowledge that sometimes differed considerably from one structure to another, even between contemporary monuments within a single region. The volume brings together regional specialists from Scandinavia, Germany, Britain, France, Belgium and Iberia to offer a series of uniquely authoritative studies. Results of recent fieldwork are fully incorporated and much of the material is published here for the first time in English. It provides an invaluable overview of the current state of research on European megalithic tombs.
The Megalithic Architectures of Europe.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35543
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Holocaust Sites of Europe: An Historical Guide
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The American Discovery of Europe
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Rough Guide to Europe on a Budget,5 edition
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Academic Profession in Europe: New Tasks and New Challenges (The Changing Academy - The Changing Academic Profession in International Comparative Perspective) - Removed
- 2018-01-11[PDF] The Pursuit of Power: Europe: 1815-1914 [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-06[PDF] The Transition in Eastern Europe, Volume 2: Restructuring (National Bureau of Economic Research Project Report)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] The Language Question in Europe and Diverse Societies: Political, Legal and Social Perspectives (Onati International Series in Law and Society)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Sovietization of Eastern Europe: New Perspectives on the Postwar Period
- 2017-12-26[PDF] The Changing Languages of Europe (Oxford Linguistics)
- 2017-12-24[PDF] The Rough Guide to Europe On A Budget
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Worlds of Medieval Europe
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Quark Machines: How Europe Fought the Particle Physics War, Second Edition
- 2017-12-18[PDF] The Formation of Christian Europe: The Carolingians, Baptism, and the Imperium Christianum
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Pursuit of Glory: Europe 1648-1815 (Penguin History of Europe)
- 2017-12-12[PDF] The Pursuit of Power: Europe, 1815-1914
- 2017-12-10[PDF] The Two Cities: Medieval Europe 1050-1320
- 2017-11-21[PDF] The Battle of Waterloo: Europe in the Balance
- 2017-11-21[PDF] The Birth of Classical Europe: A History From Troy To Augustine - Removed
- 2017-11-06[PDF] The Delphic Oracle on Europe: Is there a Future for the European Union?
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.